Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Keynames beginning with "##?#" and the like

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Den383

Den383

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

I've had absolutely no luck searching the meaning of the hashtag symbol used to prefix some registry keynames sub-directories. I have included two samples of these keynames with the hashtag symbol positions in bold and red.

ThanX :orange:

Examples:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\{0a4252a0-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000}\##?#Root#SYSTEM#0000#{0a4252a0-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\DeviceClasses\{97fadb10-4e33-40ae-359c-8bef029dbdd0}\##?#ACPI#AuthenticAMD_-_x86_Family_15_Model_67#_0#{97fadb10-4e33-40ae-359c-8bef029dbdd0}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Well...are you having any known problems with your system?

Louis

#3 Den383

Den383
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

There is an issue with USB ports. In one instance, whenever a USB stick is inserted, you can see it being recognised under Disk drives for a second, and then it immediately is re-recognised as a new USB Mass Storage Device with a problem yellow exclamation mark and a Code 31 in details. Re & Re drivers, tried several different brands of USB sticks on all available ports, and all ports respond the same with the same problem. Re & Re the USB controllers and repeated process. Same result. The USBSTOR has the devices within it's catalog.

In the Properties>General tab the description appears correct:

Device Type=USB Mass Storage Device,

Manaufacturer = Capatible USB storage device

Location (in this example) = Location 0 (v100*)     *v100 is a HP USB stick

Checked support with Windows and explored the MS FixIts as well. The oddity here is that the Apple iTunes has no problem connecting via USB to iPod, and SDs can be seen and addressed on the multi-card reader (USB on multi-card reader gives the same problem).

I don't see any issues from the security and defence softwares, nor with the firewall (software).

Also checked BIOS setup for possible conflicts with hardware setup.

Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

used on ASUS MB with UTD BIOS and working drivers, save the USB issue.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Also, I am still curious about the "##?#" symbols! It's the first time I've come across them.

ThanX

Edited by Den383, 16 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm gonna run a search of my registry for ##?# to see if I have any there. Let you know when done. DONE !! Found a bunch of them in "Device Classes" Some pertain to codecs, some to the CDROM Drives, didn't check all of them though.

NOTE : I have no problems whatsoever with this machine, so I guess "##?#" is normal for some things.

Edited by JHMcG, 16 May 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Den383

Den383
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Well, at least I'm not alone. Thanks for doing a search JHMcG !

I doubt that is the reason for the USB problem. All the same, I still would like to know the story behind the "##?#"s. Curiosity got the better of me, but I'll be damned if I can find a reference to the symbols use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users