Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Site Poll: Can you see the whole page when browsing bleepingcomputer.com?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: When browsing the site, can you see the whole page or do you need to scroll? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Can you see the whole site when browsing in a full screen or is it cut off on the right side?

1. I can see the whole site. (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. The site is cut off and I can only see a portion of the page without scrolling. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I am in the process of thinking through the redesign of the site and was curious if our members could perform a test for us. When browsing the various sections of the site, can you let me know if you can see the entire site, or if portions are cut off and you need to scroll to see the rest of the site?

If portions are cut off, can you please let me know what sections are being cut off for you.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

19" widescreen, 1600x900. I need to scroll up/down but never left/right.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I've gone to a lot of BC pages. The only one I have to scroll to the right on is Virus Removal. Currently I'm using my laptop. No clue if it would be the same on the desktop.

No scrolling has to be done on any other pages.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 May 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

24 inch widescreen, 1920X1080. Vertical scroll only. Sometimes I see things that cannot be unseen..... :blink:  But I never have to scroll left and right.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

QE, do you know your screen resolution?

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

15.6 inch laptop screen, 1366 x 768.  Keep my browser windowed to about 3/4 screen width.  Home page needs to be scrolled left-right with that configuration.   Would not need to be if I open the browser full screen.  Same in 'Removal Guides' - the guides themself, not the menu page.

Don't notice the need to scroll anywhere else.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Just clicked through all the tabs (Forums, Members, Tutorials, etc.) and did not have to scroll left/right in any of them.

Screen size:  18.5 widescreen   Res set to:  1366 x 768    Window is always full screen.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks all. Keep em coming!

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hi,

I need to scroll anywhere, where the google search is visible for most of the things that are not related to the forums. So the tabs: Startup List,Virus removal, Uninstall List, File Database.

To illustrate:
This is how the page looks, when I load it. It looks perfectly fine and if you hadn't asked to check for scrolling issues, I wouldn't even have noticed there's a scroll bar for left-right:
looksgood.jpg
However, you asked, so I noticed. :lol: If you scroll over all the way to the right, the only thing that "sticks out' and is larger than my screen is the google custom search:
ohnoes.jpg

Funnily enough, while using the uploader I realised that the issue is present there too:
uploader.jpg

The resolution I'm using is: 1280x800

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 17 May 2013 - 07:30 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

What browser are you using. It definitely should not be doing that.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

I suspect myrti is using Firefox on Linux.

#12 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Hi,

yes Firefox 19 on Ubuntu 12.10.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

I use 3 different computers, 2 of mine and 1 is at work. I can see the page, side to side, on all of them. I couldn't tell you what the resolution is on them. Sometimes it's too wide, but that's because I've used the old "control and wheel" thing to adjust the page views on other sites. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Getting the same thing as myrti with firefox 21 on ubuntu 12.10

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

I use Firefox on Windows XP Home SP3

Screen resolution: 1280 X 768

Like Myrti, the search box on the The Computer Glossary, The Startup List, Virus, Spyware, & Malware Removal Guides, Uninstall List, and the File Database pages extends past the visual frame that the search box sits in and consequently, I get a horizontal scroll bar. This does NOT happen on the Downloads page. The search box is within the parameters of the box it sits in on that page.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users