Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DBANed now System Recovery Disks won't work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maniacal16

Maniacal16

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Used DBAN on a computer I'm planning on giving away and had read that my system recovery disks would work to replace the OS. I run Vista on an HP Pavilion. The disks were directly from HP. I already have my settings to boot from cd drive on startup and the computer does not recognize the disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

What  model Pavilion?

Where did you read the info stating that your recovery disks did not need a hidden partition installed on the hard drive by HP?

Louis

#3 Maniacal16

Maniacal16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Pavilion Dv6. Don't have anything more specific than that on me. I read several other reviews from people who had no difficulty using recovery disks after the fact (users with HP Pavilions as well). However I never specifically read that I did not need a hidden partition installed.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hi

If you created the recovery disc set (usually 3 DVD)  using "HP Recovery Manager" or "HP Recovery Disc Creator" , you don't need the recovery partition in the HDD. Make sure you are inserting the first DVD . You an change the boot order in DV6 by pressing  F9 during power on. 

First disc in the recovery DVD set uses WinPE as the recovery medium. You can check if the medium is good or not by booting it from another system. If the DVD is good and boot fine in another system, your DVD drive may be faulty.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

As Anshad Edavana eluded to, you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second in order to boot from the disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users