Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best?

1. Malwarebytes (29 votes [64.44%])

Percentage of vote: 64.44%

2. SUPERAntiSpyware (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

3. Ad-Aware (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

4. Spybot S&D (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

5. Spyware Blaster (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. Hitman Pro (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

7. COMODO Cleaning Essentials (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Recently from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494727/superantispyware-or-malwarebytes/. Please take the poll and post suggestions for the poll here. 

Edited by Deleted, 17 May 2013 - 08:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hitman Pro to check scan, but needs paying for removal.   Comodo Cleaning Essentials which comes free with Comodo Internet Security for removal.

James

#3 Mochimochi

Mochimochi

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

I have malwarebytes pro :D And SUPERantispyware as an on demand scanner. ^^ So far so good.

#4 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hitman Pro to check scan, but needs paying for removal.   Comodo Cleaning Essentials which comes free with Comodo Internet Security for removal.

Your suggestion has been added. :)

#5 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I myself have always been a loyal MBAM user. :)

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Malwarebytes' Antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials- with good browsing habits and all available updates and patches installed, it's really all most end users need, in my opinion.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#7 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

SAS disappointed me. . He did run it on it's own but it did not find much while MBAM did. I do not blame SAS for letting in ransomware though.

#8 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yup, like I said, "Not one in particular Anti-Malware program will be able to protect you from all threats". SAS might pick up something that MBAM won't. The more the merrier.

Hulk_Tag.png

#9 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yes, but remember that these scanners only detect and hopefully remove things that your security has failed to protect you from.   If you have good active security they will never find anything malicious in your system as it would be stopped before you get infected.   These are all programs which cover for the failure of an antivirus based security which you may well have paid for to protect you.

James

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus or anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.Tips to protect yourself against malware infection
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 PC Lady

PC Lady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've cleaned many computers with a combination of Malwarebytes (free version) and Superantispyware.  They really complement each other in what they find.  But wondering if Malwarebytes really conflicts with Norton Internet Security, as a Norton popup is saying.  It is saying that users with Norton should remove Malwarebytes and it scares the people into removing Malwarebytes.  Maybe the new more-full-featured purchased version has some conflict?  I've been telling them to ignore the warning.

#12 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Norton have history in trying to scare people into buying their programs.

James

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Malware comes in so many forms that multiple tools are needed. One may find something another did not.

As for which one is the best: that will be the ones you feel work best for you. Only you can define the criteria for "best".

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I've cleaned many computers with a combination of Malwarebytes (free version) and Superantispyware.  They really complement each other in what they find.  But wondering if Malwarebytes really conflicts with Norton Internet Security, as a Norton popup is saying.  It is saying that users with Norton should remove Malwarebytes and it scares the people into removing Malwarebytes.  Maybe the new more-full-featured purchased version has some conflict?  I've been telling them to ignore the warning.

Hi,

I'm a Norton  and MBAM[free] user. The conflict warning appears now because all versions of the MBAM program [free and paid] have the same filename. There is a known conflict with the paid version, as there is with most realtime scanners when two or more are present on the same system. I don't know what, if any, communication is going on to resolve the problem but I have yet to hear of an actual/proven conflict between the programs. unless and until a conflict is proven I plan to keep my NIS and MBAM [free] current and running to try and remain infrection free.

I was also told that the most effective security product available was a fully engaged chair keyboard interface.

Security software may never get ahead of the threat generators but with engaged users they can keep them from getting too far ahead of the solutions.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#15 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

I use F-Secure, Not Free, but once a girl I know ran Norton on her machine, and Norton said it was clean. Running F-Secure on it found 17 Viruses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users