Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msconfig help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phxpcman

Phxpcman

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hello forum members.

I am studying to do pc repair, and I have recently come to the msconfig procedures. I would like to know this utility inside and out so I can understand fully how to utilize it for myself, and for customers when I begin to operate in my own business. I have not found anything comprehensive on youtube or with a Bing search.

I am just a baby in these things, and at times the instructional videos and such use terms I don't understand, so I get lost...

Can anyone recommend a free video or article online that I could learn from? Or even something I might find at a public library?

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

Edited by Dolby, 16 May 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

msconfig was a utility designed to help diagnose boot issues on Windows machines. It knows about a few places where software can register to start automatically with Windows, and gives the user checkboxes to turn things on and off.

Of note, it was not intended to permanently turn things off; it was designed for troubleshooting purposes and therefore does not actually have the capability to remove anything. It also doesn't contain every automatic start item in Windows or anything close to that. You might want to consider Sysinternals' autoruns or autorunssc instead if that is your goal.

Most of msconfig's functions were moved to Task Manager in Windows 8.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Thank you sir.

I see what you mean.

The Sysinternals' autoruns seems a bit over my head at this point, but I do see the difference. Thank you for responding.

#5 annaharris

annaharris

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Check out the link that Dolby has shared. Just go through the content thoroughly and you will have an idea on using Msconfig properly.

#6 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thank you, Annaharris,

But the link is a page with 6 sentences, and an advertisement...it must have been changed since Dolby posted it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users