Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update keeps failing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gary4917

Gary4917

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hi, 

I'm having a big headache with windows update - whenever I try to update I get this message after restarting "Error: Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes."

I have tried everything that Microsoft support tell me like turning off my own firewall - using windows firewall instead, using the Microsoft fix it tool, restarting the computer and trying again from scratch but nothing helps. I did not even got a recovery CD with this new computer so I cannot just reformat either.

Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

you mentioned that you did not get a recovery cd with your new computer, however it may have a recovery partition (and recovery media creation software).

What is brand and model of your computer?

Signature.

#3 len.moret

len.moret

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

I am not a techie and I had the same trouble as you describe.

The solution to this problem was:

Find (winkey+f) the maintenance center (not sure what it is called in English for I am using the Dutch version of Win8). In the popup click on Windows Update (bottom left) You wil find the update ready for you to download. Click to download and you wil almost instatly get the error back. Now you can click on the help and another popup opens. Click on the aiding wizzard and a file will download. Run this file, answer the easy questions and restart after that. Now try updating again, it worked fine at my end. The latest update, a framework of some sort, came in and installed good and fast. An other restart was all that was left to do.

Hope this helps you...

Sincerely,

Len

Edited by len.moret, 26 May 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#4 lplateuser

lplateuser

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

I have a similar probem. My new windows 8 computer had 110 updates to install. The machine took for ever to configure them (10 hours) and then said it could not configure them and was reverting back to where it was. Hours later all I could do was to close the machine by unplugging and removing the battery. I then rebooted into recovery and returned to factory condition. Restarted and tried again with the same result. There is no way to safe start the computer from boot to find out what is wrong. Is there an alternative to sending the machine back as "not fit for purpose"?

#5 Joe.Scanlon

Joe.Scanlon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

I had a similar issue with Internet Explorer 11 update. I finally went directly to the Microsoft site and installed 11 from there then other updates worked.  

#6 Lornhane

Lornhane

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Try opening a command prompts as an administrator and run this command; sfc /scannow

If it detects corruption that cannot be repaired run this command.

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This second command does take some time to work but usually fixes problems like this.

#7 lplateuser

lplateuser

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

Thank you Lornhane. Ths looks like a really positive suggestion. Unfortunately I have now given up the battle and returned the computer for exchange. If the new one gives me the same problems I will definitely try this and report back.

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users