Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop won't load

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jamesontario

jamesontario

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Whenever I start my computer it will get to the windows logo that says windows is loading but then it will go to a black screen and just stay there. Sometimes I have to turn the computer off and then back on as many as 20 times before the desktop will load.  This started happening not too long after I tried downloading something that was required to stream something online. Normally I would never do that but \I was desperate and my friend told me he had downloaded the same thing without problems. Could this be a virus of some sort?

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2013 - 10:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hi James,

It's possible you have picked up a nasty, but as a first step I would suggest you try starting in 'Safe Mode' and using the Windows repair system to revert to a date before you downloaded this software. This is quite easy to do.

Switch your computer on, and when the BIOS screen appears ( that's the first one, the one with the manufacturer's logo plastered all over it ) press the F8 key a couple of times. This will switch you into a black screen with white text. At the top there is an entry 'Repair Windows'. Use the Up and Down arrows on the keyboard to select this, then press the 'Enter' key. This will take you into the repair screen.

Let it do its thing. It may well repair your system, if it does great. If it doesn't, it will ask if you want to use 'Windows Restore' to restore Windows to an earliier point in time. Click Yes, and from the list of restore points that will appear, pick one that dates before you downloaded this software. then click 'Continue' or whatever the positive wording is. It should eventually come up and tell you the restore worked and Windows is restarting. it should then start normally.

If it doesn't, then repeat the process, but this time select 'SafeMode with networking' and download the Malwareytes scanner from here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

and run it, following the instructions about updating. This will tell you if you are infected, and whether or not it managed to resolve the problem(s). If it did, again, great. If it didn't, then post back here in the section 'Am I infected ?' and someone with expertise in that area will respond. Just follow their instructions exactly, and if you don't understand what you are being asked to do, post back for clarification.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 jamesontario

jamesontario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for your response.  

I already tried system restore awhile ago, it seems to have been messed up by this as well as all of the restore points are very recent and after all of this started. 

I already downloaded malware bytes a few days ago, didn't help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users