Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu & WiFi, as it relates to my router--Help!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Note:  I did post this on the Ubuntu forum, but, ironically, none of their suggestions worked, so I thought I'd try here. 

You can see it here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/291271/wifi-as-it-relates-to-my-router

I should say that one of their suggestions was to do the following:

Un-Installing Network Manager:

sudo apt-get remove NetworkManager

Installing WICD

sudo apt-get install wicd-client

However, now my Ubuntu will not connect to the router at all, despite the fact that it (the router) has NO security features enabled. I'm guessing this is because of the missing NetworkManager?  Trouble is, as is noted below, I can't get online (to reinstall NetworkManager, or anything else for that matter). So here I am stuck between a rock and a hardplace!

Anyway my basic question/problem is shown below...  

Why does my Ubuntu make a WiFi connection ONLY when I disable the security settings of the router?

I have a 3-computer network, 2 of which connect just fine (with the router's security settings enabled). The other two are Win XP PCs. My Ubuntu also connected just fine; and then for reasons unknown to me, stopped connecting!

My Belkin router:

• Security mode/authentication: WPA-WPA2 (Personal PSK) / WPA-PSK +WPA2-PSK
  • Wireless Channel: Auto
  • Wireless Mode: g and b
  • Protected Mode: on
  • 802.11e QoS: on
  • Encryption Technique: TKIP + AES
  • Wi-Fi Protected Setup: on

Will either of these pieces of info help you to help me?

• Network Controller: Broadcom Corp BCM4313 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN controller
  • Ethernet controller: Atheros Comm Inc. AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)

Any advise, suggestions, solutions will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for looking.

BTW, here is the link for the text from my Ubuntu, after entering a:

“sudo lshw -c network

http://sites.google.com/site/stufff2share/brlu

Edited by pinkn0rangegal, 16 May 2013 - 11:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users