Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

any thoughts on Dev Boot Camp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smoothfin

smoothfin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

I saw Dev Boot Camp in the news recently, and they've opened up in a new location in Chicago.  Anyone have any experience with them, or any opinions about them?  Is getting a crash course in Ruby worth the $12K?

cheers,

smoothfin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jfarmer

jfarmer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hey smoothfin,

I'm Jesse, one of the co-founders of Dev Bootcamp.  Happy to answer any and all questions here -- from you or anyone else!

Cheers,

Jesse

#3 smoothfin

smoothfin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi Jesse, thanks for replying.  I've read through the faq on your site, and read some postings from students who've been hired after graduating Dev Boot Camp, but I'm a bit incredulous about the starting salaries for a Ruby on Rails programmer who's only experience is the training.  Not really a question, just a bit skeptical, but not without some reason.  The places I've worked just don't start junior programmers at those salaries.  Usually it takes some experience in both programming and in the company's particular business to get to that range, or other factors like a security clearance or some other sort of certification.  But, if that's the results of what you've been seeing from your graduates' placements, and at the rate of placement, okay.  The faq states that about half of your boots have some prior programming experience.  Do you have a higher washout rate among boots with no prior programming experience?  If not, then are the 2012 results of 90% of graduates finding a job with an average starting salary of over 80K skewed towards boots with prior programming experience?

I think the faq makes a good argument for using Ruby on Rails, but do you see the curriculum diversifying in the future to encompass other hot technologies, or would you offer a separate curriculum to cover the other technologies?

thanks in advance for your time.

cheers,

smoothfin    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users