Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help/opinion with/on my slow computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Driver_1980

Driver_1980

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi

Just resurrected a Dell Dimension 4600 that had been idle for a couple of years. I've hookedit  back up to the internet and given it a spring clean (followed the steps from this forum's pinned post) which has included installing CCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, super anti-spyware, dsk clean, defrag, etc. Unfortunately, the computer is still painfully slow when logging in for the first time and doing simple tasks such as surfing the internet or loading basic programs. I'm pretty sure it's not any virus based on all the scans I've done; I'm wondering if there is anything I'm overlooking.

Two programmes that I have installed recently include Norton Internet Security and Google Chrome (for tab browsing) as my web browser. Could they be slowing my system down dramatically?

Here is the computer's spec: -

Windows XP Pro

Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz processor

1Gb RAM

80Gb HDD (about 30% used)

Standard graphics card

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

It is possible that Norton could be a cause for the slowness of your computer. Sometimes a security program does not play nice with a system.

Years ago I tried a McAfee trial. It caused my computer to crawl slower than a turtle. The only way I could make it go bye bye was to do a clean reinstall of Windows.

Unfortunately the only way to find out if Norton could be a part of the problem is to uninstall it.

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wouldn't hurt to install more RAM too. I always use 2 x 2Gig sticks in my XP machines, preferably with fast timing. Also another thing that helps considerably is a duocore or quadcore processor.

#4 Driver_1980

Driver_1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Certainly, some additional RAM would help me plus I think that Norton and Google Chrome are also quite resource hunger

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I have cleaned up and improved some XP's over the years similar to what you are doing including my Dell Dimension 3000 which was given to me 5 years ago when it was a complete disaster

A few things to consider

Startups: ensure nothing is checked in that isn't needed at startup

Norton security

--- Generally speaking I believe Norton Security is a resource hog on XP's but you probably have a paid version

------ Try to completely disable it

------ If you don't mind uninstalling it, thats better

Malwarebytes Anti-malware & super anti-spyware

--- I suppose that you run those manually and they are not running in real time

--- If either one or both are running in real time along with Norton, that is not a good thing

--- You want only one anti-malware program running in real time

Google Chrome

--- Uninstall it

--- You can always reinstall later if you want it back but right now the intent is to disable or uninstall anything suspect to see the net effect of the computers performance

RAM

--- If the computer can take more than 1 GB, definitely increase it; go to 2GB if possible

--- If it will take 4GB, consider it but I don't think your computer does

------ Even though more RAM doesn't technically speed up the computer, it allows for more efficiency thus improved performance

Hard drive

--- See if you can run a diagnostic on it

In case you'd like to know, I use MSE in real time & Malwarebytes Free as a 2nd opinion program as they are not resource hogs

--- I have used a few other free security programs a couple of times but since they disn't find anything new, I decided to stay with MSE in real time & Malwarebytes Free which I manually run once a month

With all of the work you are doing the computer should run at least decently

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi

Good suggestions cmptrgy

In addition to that i recommend testing hard disk speed. Slow HDD is one of the main reason for bad performance in old systems. To measure the performance of the HDD, download HD tune trial from   http://www.hdtune.com/download.html.

Run a benchmark test with it. It will show the average speed of HDD.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Slowness, freezing and performance issues as you describe are not uncommon, especially with older computers. You may want to try some of the suggestions in this guide: Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

There are various reasons for slowness and poor performance besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons/toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down and behave oddly so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users