Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop DVD drive problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 J0nn0666

J0nn0666

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite running Win7 Ultimate.Yesterday my DVD drive stopped working.I use IMGBURN and NERO12 for burning,both of these programs go through the motions of burning,they start and finish exactly how they always did,but there is no data on the discs.The DVD drive shows up in control panel and my computer,it ejects ok,there are no weird noises.

I've uninstalled the drivers,and re-installed but no luck.No movies or data discs will play in it.I have an external BD burner,and that works perfectly.

I'm guessing it's FUBAR,but if anyone has any other things i could try,that'd be great.

Thanks in advance.......... John.

:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Is the "simulate" checkbox in Nero checked? If so, that could be part of the problem. If not, try uninstalling and reinstalling the programs. If that doesn't fix it, it may be time to replace the DVD drive itself. It's tricky to do on a laptop, but check to see if the laser is actually on when the DVD is working.

#3 J0nn0666

J0nn0666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the reply.Yeh i thought about the laser,how can you check if it's working?I wouldn't attempt to replace it myself,i'd take it in to somewhere to get it done.

:smash:

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

You'll want to glance inside the tray while it's running to check for the red laser light. That can be very tricky in a laptop. If the laser isn't on, you know what the problem is. But even if the laser is on, the mirror could be dirty or out of alignment, so the laser wouldn't be able to write data to the DVD.

Replacing the DVD drive is actually pretty easy. It's dismantling the laptop case in order to get to it that is tricky. ;) If it's not something in the software settings, and reinstalling the programs doesn't fix it, it's probably time to replace the DVD drive. And if you aren't comfortable doing that yourself, take it somewhere to have that done. But if you're up for it, here's a link: http://www.ehow.com/how_7220255_replace-toshiba-laptop-dvd-drive.html

#5 J0nn0666

J0nn0666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply again.Tried looking at the laser,but no luck.The light on the drive is on,and you can seel/hear the disc spinning,but nothing!I looked at the link,and i'm thinking i might attempt it myself,i thought you would have to dismantle the whole thing,but it doesn't look too difficult.If i do manage to get it out,i'll replace it with an internal BD burner.

Thanks again,i'll let you know how i get on.

:clapping:

Edited by J0nn0666, 16 May 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

The trick is keeping track of all the little screws. One way is to lay down a piece of wide sticky tape, sticky side up on the table next to the laptop. Start in the upper left corner of the laptop, and place the removed screws on the tape, left to right, matching rows on the laptop to rows on the tape. There's nothing more annoying than finding you're short one screw -- except maybe finding you're short a screw and hearing it rattling around inside the laptop.

Make sure the battery is removed and the laptop is unplugged. Also try to ensure a static-free environment -- electrostatic discharge can fry a motherboard, and the shock doesn't even need to be strong enough for you to feel it.

Make sure the BD burner is compatible with your system. Either the manufacturer of the burner or Toshiba can help you with that. And you may need to install the drivers for the burner once you've got it in the laptop.

Good luck, and let me know how that goes.

#7 J0nn0666

J0nn0666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Can't believe how easily it came out!1 screw on the back,and out it slid.Just ordered the new BD drive,hopefully have it in by the weekend.

:thumbup2:

#8 J0nn0666

J0nn0666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

All done,and all working nicely!Ordered from SCAN yesterday,arrived this morning.Took about 5 minutes to swap them over and even managed to get the faceplate off the broken one and put it on the new one!Burned a dvd no problem,don't have any blank BD,but i imagine that'll be fine too.Thanks for all the help.

:thumbsup2:

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Fantastic. Glad to hear that. Not entirely familiar with Toshibas so I wasn't sure just how easy it would be to remove the drive. Some laptops it's incredibly easy; others are quite tricky. Also glad to see my first hunch was correct.  :rolleyes: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users