Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

western digital HD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kennyboy3

kennyboy3

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Hi , I am trying too reformat my WD hard drive to ntfs  it is currently fat32  but i keep getting access denied , i think it is about allowing permissions could anyone tell me how to do this on my vista ultimate  64 bit PC , thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Hi

Which partition you are trying to format ?

#3 kennyboy3

kennyboy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hi I was hoping too format the whole drive NTFS i am a bit of a dinosaur with all this IT stuff . :mellow:

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

You need to use a utility called convert.exe

See http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/82436-convert-external-hard-drive-ntfs.html

Make sure to back up your data first, as this can go wrong.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 16 May 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Although you say that you want to "format"...be aware that formatting will delete everything on the drive.

As suggested by Adam Pollard, it seems that what you really want to do is convert the file system from FAT to NTFS.

http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2012/02/convert-fat32-to-ntfs-file-system.html

Louis

#6 kennyboy3

kennyboy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

hi thanks for the reply , there is nothing on the drive so i wont lose anything , will take a look at what you suggested tomorrow , thanks again.

#7 kennyboy3

kennyboy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hi all seems sorted now but dont know how? as you can gather I am not an expert on these matters by far , this is what  happened when i first tried to put a large file on too the drive ( 6.5 gb ) i got the message saying that the hd was fat32 so couldnt handle files larger than 4 gb .... fair enough so i thought that i would back up what was on there to another hd which i did then when i tried too reformat the drive too ntfs kept getting the message access denied ? soooo.... when i looked at the drive in disk management it showed the drive to all ready be formatted in ntfs ? soooo I duly duly reloaded the backed up files back on with no problem including   files larger than 4gb and all works fine , hope this makes sense to you guys ,sure baffles the poop out of me? but hey ho it all works , thanks for all your replies.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Well...a good result...is a good result, no matter why/how :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#9 kennyboy3

kennyboy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Thanks  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic