Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is ESET Smart Security enough?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 estheran

estheran

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

I have Eset on my computer (paid for) but also have a free version of Superantispy installed. Do I really need both? Does one conflict with the other? I'm experiencing quite a lot of trouble with programms running slowly and am trying to remove whatever is not necessary from the system, but don't want to get rid of something if it's going to compromise security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have Eset on my computer (paid for) but also have a free version of Superantispy installed. Do I really need both? Does one conflict with the other? I'm experiencing quite a lot of trouble with programms running slowly and am trying to remove whatever is not necessary from the system, but don't want to get rid of something if it's going to compromise security

I recommend avast! free antivirus. It is light and has many great features.

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

I personally think ESET is one of the best and I have tried many different types of antiviruses and it's the main one I have stuck with for a loooonng time.. Although it's so debatable because avast is really good aswell with so many good reviews and the fact that free definitely beats paying any day so everyone will recommend avast over ESET.

And as for "Do you really need both?", I would recommend it, you should only have one antivirus software because those in fact do conflict with one another like you were saying. But when it comes to malware and spyware programs like SUPERAntiSpyware, you should have a variety of programs because there is not one in particular program that will be able to protect you from all threats.

As for things running slowly, try to limit some startup programs if you can and visit this page, it wil help you fix A LOT of things that can cause a slow computer. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

P.S. If you are unsure about something that you are deciding to delete or not to delete from your computer to help performance, just google it.

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 estheran

estheran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

Thanks Slim. Much appreciated. I'll look at the startup programms. Cheers

#5 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

If you're really paranoid, you can run a suplimentry anti-malware client like Malwarebytes Pro (only the Pro versio has real-time protection) or SuperAntiSpyware. MBAM also plays well with other running AVs and when you buy it you get a lifetime license.

Edited by WhiteZero, 16 May 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

I have used a paid version of Eset NOD32 along with Malwarebytes Pro and SuperAntiSpyware as a stand-alone scanner for years without issue.

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well, it depends what you do. If you download and browse the internet a lot, get avast internet security or AVG internet security. And yes, SAS will be OK. You can have multiple programs like SAS on your computer because they do not have resident protection so they will not clash with your AV. ESET Smart Security is pretty good. I myself have ESET Nod32 and it works good. Although, I only have it on my gaming laptop because I mostly stay offline and do not do banking.

#8 JH1

JH1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have used a paid version of Eset NOD32 along with Malwarebytes Pro and SuperAntiSpyware as a stand-alone scanner for years without issue.

Malwarebytes Pro and SuperAntiSpyware can use together, do you need to disable one of them or they can run together

#9 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Malwarebytes Pro and SuperAntiSpyware can use together, do you need to disable one of them or they can run together

They can run together but I do not recommend running their scans at the same time.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 May 2013 - 09:24 AM.
Corrected ending quote tag placement. ~ OB

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

My advice: If you like Eset disregard the advice to use a free antivirus such as Avast or AVG.

They are an alternative if one does not want to purchase an antivirus program.

Everyone has an opinion on what is "best".

I have used both of the free ones mentioned. 2 years ago I switched to Eset Smart Security and I am very pleaed with it. It does the job it is supposed to do. It alerts me when sites are phishing or bad. When I download a program it will tell me if there are"extra" things I may not want included in the download.

Neither AVG or Avast ever did that.

To answer your question "is Eset Smart Security enough" the answer is NO.

Bottom line is that malware comes in so many forms that multiple tools are needed. I also use MBAM and SAS.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 May 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users