Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"My Computer"/Control Pannel Really Slow, and Missing Icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oblivioncth

oblivioncth

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hello,

I very strange problem has begun to develop on my computer, and is something that I have never seen before. Googling the problem has led me pretty much nowhere, and even though I am usually capable of taking care of my own computer issues this is so bizzare that I have no idea what to do.

Basically, out of nowhere my computer started behaving strangely in this fashion: Opening windows explorer with "My Computer" takes FOREVER to load. The green bar goes up slowely but never finsishes (at least as far as I have watched it, and instead of the normal myriad of quick links on the left there is only "Favorites", "Libraries", "Homegroup", and "Computer", all unexpanded and lacking the expansion arrow as if there is nothing within them. Also, on the default "Computer" section there is just nothing. None of my drives show and it is just a blank white page. Additionally, I get the same loading issue with the Control Pannel as none of the icons ever load.

0jtd7YS.png

The other problem I am having which I believe is related is that random icons across all drives are either invisible (not loaded) or have the "No Icon" icon, that icon that is just a blank piece of paper with the corner folded. Paired with this, I am sure, is that sometimes when I empty the recycle bin, instead of the icon changing into the emptied bin it just disapears and eventually loads the correct icon sometime later while I am not watching. Also some icons for pictures and videos will actually load but then never show a thumbnail preview of the media like they are supposed to.

Notes:

• I have cleared all temp data/caches with CCleaner
  • I have not tried running the sfc scannow because I don't think that will help in this case (it may though)
  • I do have Superfetch, Prefetch, and Drive Indexing disabled but only because I run Windows 7 off an SSD
  • I can still browse each drive my manually typing in the drive letter in explorer, and so far every file loads fine and every drive can be written to OK
  • Because of the above, and the fact that the icon issue is across all drives I don't think its a hardware issue but obviosuly I am not sure.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I rebooted and the problem seems to have gone away, but it may return. I will post back if it does.

Edited by oblivioncth, 15 May 2013 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Could be a system memory issue. Do you leave the computer running for long periods of time, with multiple windows open? That will eventually lead to problems of not enough available RAM. You may also want to ensure you have enough RAM installed, and check to ensure you have enough virtual memory for page files. In Windows 7, it's recommended to choose the option to let the system automatically manage the paging file size.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Have you tried using Windows 7 System Restore to return to a previous state before the problems began? <- Check the Show other restore points box to see any restore older points that may not be listed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 oblivioncth

oblivioncth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Could be a system memory issue. Do you leave the computer running for long periods of time, with multiple windows open? That will eventually lead to problems of not enough available RAM. You may also want to ensure you have enough RAM installed, and check to ensure you have enough virtual memory for page files. In Windows 7, it's recommended to choose the option to let the system automatically manage the paging file size.

The problem actually just started again and I am going to reboot to see if it takes care of it. I have a gamming rig so I have 8GBs of 1866MHz ram which is plenty. Yes I do leave my computer on for long periods of time. Probably just a bug relating to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users