Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partioning Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sumac

Sumac

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:42 AM

Hi,
I just installed a 250 gb harddrive in my computer. [the old one was going bad]. I created a 4gb partition, which is where I installed wilndows. It is labeled as C. My large partition is labeled J. It seems like I have a lot of my programs on both partitions now and am running out of room on C. How can I get delete the programs on C that are also on J, without removing them from the computer totally? I have tried add/remove program, but it tells me the program will be removed from the computer. I have also tried to delete some of the duplicates on C and it won't let me. Can I make the C partition bigger without screwing everything up? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:10 AM

You need someting like Partition Magic for this. There are also other free programs that do the same trick.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure exactly what's happening. If you have programs on C:, that same program should not be on J:

Programs do not simultaneously install to two different drives - they install to the folder you tell them to install to. Traditionally, you would have a smaller partition for C: and a larger one for files, but you may have gone too small for C:.

If you have game programs, for instance, they might take up a gig of space each. Windows XP SP2 takes between 681MB - 1100MB. You could quickly run out of space on C:.

Do some of your programs have data? For instance, a scanner can store images in its own Program Files folder, which would be on C:. You could move those images to a folder on J: and free more space on C:.

There are a number of things you can move, such as My Documents, Page File, Mail Message store, and so on. Or, as the previous poster mentioned, you could use something like Partition Magic to increase the size of the C: partition. However, this method could easily cause a complete failure - Partition Magic may work fine, or it may mess things up badly.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:39 AM

Remember. If you moved a program to a different drive you will have to reinstall it. You cannot move a installed program like data. Programs have themself woven into the operating system. If you move from C:\ to Z:\ dive the Operatin System would not be able to start the program because it would know where to look. The registry entries would point at the C:\ but the program would be on Z:\ drive. Make sence?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Sumac

Sumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:39 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I did manage to move some things to my J partition so I think I have enough room on C now. I am not yet sure if everything will work right, but I know where to go if I need help. Once again, thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

Hello, There is a safer way to do disk partitioning than Partition Magic. Fred Langa of the Langalist has a very good article on it using Windows itself;

Langa Letter: Another Hidden Gem: The Windows Disk Management Tool

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle...cleID=180207718

If you are not sure on how to use this or feel you need help please get someone who knows computers or post back here and someone from here will try to help you. One little thing is to Print this article out so you have an on hand reference to go by.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Unfortunately, the Windows Disk Management tool cannot shrink an existing partition to make room to expand another. And once data's on the partition, you're taking a chance, even with Partition Magic, of messing it up. If you have an unused partition that you can delete, you might then be able to use the Windows tool to expand a partition into the unused space, but that's it. Partition Magic has the ability to resize existing partitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users