Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I ask for birthday?!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Screen Lover

Blue Screen Lover

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi guys...

I was wondering if it is worth it to ask for a Surface Pro 128GB plus the keyboard for my birthday. 

I have seen the costs that are upwards of $1K, that is why I ask if it is worth it to do so.

This hypothetical Surface would be a replacement for my obsolete 1G iPad, which has gotten to the point that I crash when loading the Gmail app.

Thanks for any input!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

It really depends on what you are looking for. Windows 8 happens to be a really nice OS for a tablet and Pro let's you run all of your normal windows apps, but $1000 is a lot of money to just replace an iPad. On the other hand, if you were going to use the Surface Pro as a iPad and a computer replacement, then I would say its worth it.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

Like Grinler, I would say it depends on what your intended use/needs for it are.

If you are going to use it in the same way as most people use an iPad (i.e. email, browsing, watching videos, maybe reading books, playing games, etc), then it is likely overkill.  In that situation, I would likely say another iPad, a Surface RT, or some Android tablet would likely be a better choice.

If you need/want it to do some more "traditional" computer functions such a word processing, spreadsheets, or something else, then it might be worth it as it can run "full" traditional Windows programs like Grinler stated.

I will note that if you only really need Word or Excel, then a Surface RT could still be an option as there is a version of Office for the Surface RT...but everything else would have to be a Windows 8 "Modern UI" app.

#4 -Psychopath-

-Psychopath-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Your parents will spend that much on you for your Birthday? You lucky duck! I'd be lucky to get $10! Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users