Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUPERantispyware or Malwarebytes?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: SAS or MBAM? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

SAS OR MBAM?

1. SUPERantispyware (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Malwarebytes (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Both (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Please take the poll.

Edited by Deleted, 15 May 2013 - 06:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

You're going to find that a lot of the regulars here use both as on demand scanners. Each one scans for different things. So my answer is no preference.

#3 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

You're going to find that a lot of the regulars here use both as on demand scanners. Each one scans for different things. So my answer is no preference.

Okay. According to Aventador on the avast! forums, I use to much security. BTW, I have added a "both" option. That should suit your needs.  :wink:

You have a brand new OS and you have already installed and uninstalled way too much security.

Edited by Deleted, 15 May 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

EMSISoft Anti-malware active. Malwarebytes and Superantispyware on demand.

So, none of the above? Or both but on demand only. Your poll....

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Okay. According to Aventador on the avast! forums, I use to much security. BTW, I have added a "both" option. That should suit your needs.  :wink:

You have a brand new OS and you have already installed and uninstalled way too much security.

If that's the case, instead of doing a poll, why don't you tell us what you're using. We'll tell you if it's too much.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm with frankp316 -

There is no BEST option, as both do similar but not exactly the same things

MBAM will not remove Tracking Cookies, while I feel SAS places too much importance on this area -

In looking for infections, and cleaning computers, both programs do their own jobs, so both work together.

You can believe it or not, but I know of several people that do run the Pro version of Both programs, plus their preferred Antivirus

Thank You -

EDIT - Aventador on the avast! forums is welcome to their own opinion also -

Edited by noknojon, 16 May 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

My vote goes for Malwarebytes between the two. I use it (on demand) in addition to any security suite I have installed. 

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

When compared to other security tools like Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, the advantage of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is that it uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits. SUPERAntiSpyware offers technology to deal with some rootkit infections. IMO Malwarebytes has proven more effective than many of the free stand-alone ARK tools which are available and most anti-malware scanners. Even so, the reasearch team has gone a step further and developed a separate tool (MBAMAntiRootkit) and database to deal with more sophistigated rootkits.

Malwarebytes intentionally does not search for and remove cookies because they pose no significant threat (see Microsoft's Description of Cookies. The research team investigates new rogue applications and malicious files so the database is usually updated several times a day in an aggressive effort to keep it current. Scanning is performed quickly while other tools can take hours.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is designed to remove malware as effectively with a Quick Scan as it will with a Full Scan which takes much longer to complete. Both scans use heuristics that bypasses polymorphic blackhat packers & encryption, MD5 Hash, check memory (loaded .exes and .dlls), unique strings, autostart load points and hotspots (everywhere current malware is known to load from) and multiple other malware checks which are not discussed in public to safeguard the program from malware writers who would use that information for nefarious purposes.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

When compared to other security tools like Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, the advantage of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is that it uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits. SUPERAntiSpyware offers technology to deal with some rootkit infections.

Which make me wonder why they don't just impliment the features of MBAR into MBAM? My guess: So they can sell a seperate product for more revenue. Not we could expect MalwareBytes to sell a lifetime license to one piece of software and not try to monitize a similar one.

#10 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Updated title so the new poll is not misleading. Please go here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494851/best-anti-spywareanti-malwareon-demand-scanner/

#11 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Not one in particular Anti-Malware program will be able to protect you from all threats. It is a definite both.

Hulk_Tag.png

#12 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Mods, please close this topic as it will no longer be needed. Thank you.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Closed .. Duplicate here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494851/best-anti-spywareanti-malwareon-demand-scanner/#entry3052813
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users