Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

My trial version of Norton Internet Security is set to expire in a few days. Should I just enable the Windows firewall when the trial ends or should I download a free firewall from the Internet?

I used ZoneAlarm on my old '98 computer and it seemed to be a pretty decent firewall. This computer came installed with a 60-day trial of NIS firewall, so I am not yet familiar with the Windows firewall. How trustworthy is it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:29 AM

Hi PC Gal. Windows Firewall is better than nothing, but only just. It will block attempts to get into your computer but won't stop any dialler going out so, go for Zone Alarm and make sure Windows is turned off - you can only run one firewall at a time. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob ) † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †† † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:29 AM

Hi again PAIG. Windows is short of worthless.With the excellent choices of freeware why settle for less than top notch. I use SyGate but ZA is excellent also.
I would uninstall NIS. First godd and download an antivirus and firewal. Then uninstall NIS. before you go on the internet installthe AV you selected and downloaded. Then connect to the internet and update.
Here is a list to choose from.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Presonal Firewall 5.6 (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

Windows XP Firewall is much better than its Internet Connection Firewall predecessor, but it is no replacement for a 3rd-party personal firewall.

The XP firewall protects Windows XP against port scanning but there are some serious issues and limitations involved in using it.

1. The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XPís firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.

2. The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.

This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.

By default, Windows Firewall rejects all incoming traffic unless that traffic is in response to a previous outgoing request.

It's better for you to use one of the firewall products recommended by acklan.

If you do this and no longer use the Windows firewall, you need to disable it. Running multiple software firewalls on a single computer can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 AlexCYS

AlexCYS

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

Here to ask u some questions.. Y my comp can't view my firewall settings of windows?
It shows that: Due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display firewall settings..
Actually wat's happening?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

See Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

OK, thanks for the info!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:58 AM

Your welcome.

#9 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:00 AM

Hi again PAIG. Windows is short of worthless.With the excellent choices of freeware why settle for less than top notch. I use SyGate but ZA is excellent also.
I would uninstall NIS. First godd and download an antivirus and firewal. Then uninstall NIS. before you go on the internet installthe AV you selected and downloaded. Then connect to the internet and update.

Stupid question I know, but I do all this after NIS expires, right?

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 14 April 2006 - 03:01 AM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:26 AM

When I switched from MacAfee AVG Free Edition I left 14 months on a 2 year subscripton . I would switch as soon as you have time, if you indeed plan to not renew your subscription to NIS. It is not like it will cost you any money.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Well, NIS expires tomorrow. I might uninstall tonight.

You said to download a firewall and antivirus, then uninstall NIS. Wouldn't I have two firewalls running at the same time if I uninstall NIS after I download ZoneAlarm?

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 14 April 2006 - 08:12 PM.

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

If you download a firewall and save it to your hard drive, then go off-line, uninstall NIS, then install the firewall, you will have no problem with conflicts. Alternately, if you can disable the NIS firewall, then do so any install the other product, then uninstall NIS. What is important is not whether both are on your hard drive at the same time, but whether both are turned on at the same time.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for the instructions, guys. I installed ZoneAlarm and AVG and uninstalled NIS. That wasn't so difficult. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users