Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stdrt.exe -- Windows Vista -- Malware??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LaLaLand

LaLaLand

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I found this site while looking for information on an application -- stdrt.exe -- I hope someone can help me.

A LITTLE HISTORY:

My computer is the ripe old age of seven, and I don't expect it to run that fast, though I try to take care of it: defragment every couple of months, uninstal games I no longer play --and any other programs I don't want. I have installed all the memory I could fit, and I recently invested in an external hard drive, putting all my music on it and freeing up several gigs. I have had few problems--never anything major.

Then, around the time I updated to iTunes 11 (I know--I've since uninstalled and gone back to a version of 10 that I still had the .lib file for--works great now), my computer got really slow and I started getting lots of performance alerts from my Norton 360. I blamed iTunes for all! But then, after the downgrade, the problem didn't go away.

I've been writing it off as my computer just getting old. BUT, one alert has continued to catch my attention because I just had no idea what it was talking about...

STDRT.EXE:

The performance alert was for High Memory Usage by something Norton called "Media Dashboard." --"Media Dashboard???" said I, every time this came up. What the heck is that? Usually, I blew it off as some Vista update thingy that I couldn't do much about... It sounded official enough, right? Yeah...

But in my more curious moments, I would try to find the application and figure out what it was supposed to be doing. Could I just uninstall it, I wondered? Did I need it?

Well, the long and short is that I still have no idea what it is, but I can tell you this much. The actual application name is stdrt.exe, and it is created upon boot at file path: C:\Windows\temp\mrtC293.tmp

I couldn't find much about it from a casual google search. I did find this site (http://www.file.net/process/stdrt.exe.html) with some info, but I have no idea how legit that site is. Nor this one, now that you mention it--but I've liked the responses I've seen to other's inquiries here thus far; so here I am, begging for your mercy!

THE QUESTION(s):

So at last, it comes down to this: What the heck is this file? Is it malware? Can I get rid of it without labotomizing my computer? What is the best way to go about this?

Thank you for your expertise! And valuable time! Let me know if there is any further information I can provide.

--LaLaLand

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

It may be from  Gigabytes Easytune software

You might also want to use (and keep) TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.  Barrowed from Jaycee

See if it returns.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 LaLaLand

LaLaLand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks boopme,

I ran TFC just now, and rebooted. However, stdrt.exe reappeared, this time in a different temp folder (C:\Windows\temp\mrt5FCB.tmp); again having been created upon boot.

What do you think?

--Also, I'm not sure what Gigabytes Easytune software makes, and not sure I have anything of theirs.

Thanks much!

LaLaLand

#4 LaLaLand

LaLaLand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Just bumping this up, because my problem has not been solved:

Still got the temp file (stdrt.exe) being created everytime I boot; and it's still hogging memory; and I still don't know what it is, whether I can just get rid of it, and how to get rid of it.

Thanks! I really appreciate the time and experience of anyone who can help me with this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users