Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mjhorowitz

mjhorowitz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I have an old clunker of a laptop, a Dell Inspiron e1705, that was running XP Media Center. I decided, against better judgement, to try to upgrade to Windows 7 and see how well it would run. As you can imagine, it didn't work well at all, so I tried to go back to XP. Unfortunately the conventional ways to downgrade back to XP did not work for me so I ended up having to do a total hard drive wipe with DBAN which I'm assuming also took XP with it because after doing the wipe everytime I power on the computer I get an error message saying "No boot sector on internal hard drive, no bootable devices."

I have played with the boot sequence and it gives me this error every time. I found that with a Dell you can hit CTRL+ F11 at startup to restore to factory defaults, but pushing CTRL + F11 does nothing. 

Firstly, am I correct in assuming XP, or any other OS, has been completely erased? If so, I know it'd be fairly straightforward to insert the XP installation disks, but I (of course) don't have the disks. Is it possible to download XP on another computer and put it on a blank disk so you'd have your own installation disk? 

I do have an OnTheHub account and could easily get another product key for XP but you don't get any disks that way, it's just a download. If you've got a product key can you request a disk from microsoft? I tried googling that to find out but it doesn't seem like you can.

Or am I totally off the mark here and there's a simple fix right front of me that I'm not seeing? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

You might be able to get a replacement disk from Dell for small fee. Unfortunately, you may find that not all XP disks will work as they can be manufacturer specific. If you used dban, you nuked the entire disk, including any recovery partition (which is what is used to restore to factory defaults). You will also need a driver disk, Dell may be able to provide this too.

Alternatively, talk to your local pc repair shop and ask for a price, it might be cheaper than you think.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 15 May 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

At what point did you do press CTRL + F11?

Do you see a Dell bar when you boot up?

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

At what point did you do press CTRL + F11?

Do you see a Dell bar when you boot up?

You notice he wiped the hard drive with dban. There is nothing left on the hard drive to restore.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

OOPS, my bad. You are correct. What I would have suggested may not work in that case.

#6 mjhorowitz

mjhorowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

In hindsight, using DBAN was probably a bit of a drastic measure, but the computer did need a bit of cleaning anyways.  :)

I'll check on the Dell website and see if they offer an install disk.

#7 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

In hindsight, using DBAN was probably a bit of a drastic measure, but the computer did need a bit of cleaning anyways.  :)

I'll check on the Dell website and see if they offer an install disk.

A bit of cleaning, thats a good  one, lol. A bit like killing a mosquito with a thermonuclear device. :radioactive:

Edited by Adam Pollard, 15 May 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#8 mjhorowitz

mjhorowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Now I've got new problems. I've successfully installed XP Professional onto the laptop and started installing drivers. There is no driver for the wifi adapter(the wifi light does not come on, and no driver for it can be found in Device Manager) so I cannot get on the internet on that laptop. I've downloaded drivers from the Dell website onto a flash drive and started installing them that way, but that's where I hit a problem. The Notebook System Software and Chipset drivers downloaded just fine, but no other driver installs after them. I get error messages from the install wizards for the audio, videos, wireless, bluetooth etc drivers, usually saying that no device support can be found, or something along those lines.

Under Device Manager, there are question marks next to the Other Devices section and next to each device in that category, so I know some drivers are missing but I can't install drivers since I get an error message everytime. Extremely frustrating. Any ideas?

#9 JH1

JH1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

I think this tutorial should help you to find a corect driver

#10 mjhorowitz

mjhorowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I got it fixed! Turns out it was (sort of) Dell's problem, not mine. When I went to the Dell site to get the drivers I manually selected my laptop's model, e1705, and downloaded those drivers; when they didn't work I thought I was doing something wrong. On a whim I went back to Dell's site and instead of selecting my model I entered my service tag which took me to the 9400's driver page. Those drivers were different than the e1705's, and after I downloaded them, everything appears to be working. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users