Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hi all, 

I've been using my Venus 2.5" Portable hard drive for the past 4-5 years or so. Its always externally attached to my computer whenever i turn it on. However, i just noticed the problem 3-4 days ago that whenever i access some of my folders with numerous files in it seems to be slower than usual and whenever i play music in wmp, it seems to be loading the file, so i decided to back-up everything just in case to another external hard drive through my laptop. 

When i connected it to my laptop to initiate the back-up, it then prompted me to format it before i can use it. I then got myself a data recovery software to be able to back the data up without formatting. When i tried to plug the external hard drive back to my pc however, it won't detect it anymore in My Computer. 

Is it more likely that i'll have to replace the hard drive after back-up? or perhaps if i format it through my laptop after backing up would it still be usable? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

so i decided to back-up everything just in case to another external hard drive through my laptop.

Was this a new hdd?

If it was and hadn't been formatted Windows will not recognize it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

2 options:  Your external hard drive is toast, or the enclosure is toast.

If it was me, I would get a USB-hard drive adapter (always handy to have)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002 or another enclosure  and swap the suspect hard drive out of it's current enclosure to either of the above.  If you have a desktop and an extra SATA port, you can hook it up there to ck it out and see if it is readable.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 jamiep87

jamiep87

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have had a failing enclosure do just that. I could plug the hard drive into another enclosure and it would work fine. Formatting the drive in the bad enclosure would work for a little while until it would ask to format again

#5 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

To clarify, I transferred all the data from the defective external hard drive to a new one. I tested the defective drive days ago after the reformatting and backing up the data to my desktop computer. It seems to work fine, when i play a video file (using VLC media player) within it however when i play music files in wmp it couldn't seem to find the file location (might be wmp at fault). Didn't knew that enclosures could be changed so i'll give it a try as well as a USB-hard drive adapter if i can find one. 

Edited by john1816, 21 May 2013 - 06:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users