Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing boot disk to SSD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guvnar

Guvnar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi,

I have installed a SSD drive and successfully cloned my old hard drive. When i unplug the old hard drive the computer boots up fine but as soon as the old drive is hooked up it boots from that. How do i change the boot disc to the SSD?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Let's see if this is right.  You cloned your old hard drive, which had Windows 8 installed on it, to a new solid state drive, yes?  Your next sentence is confusing.  Do you mean that the old drive boots into Windows fine, but the SSD does not?  Or the other way around?  Or both?  If it is the SSD that is having trouble, my experience has been that Windows 8 does not like to be cloned, at least not with Ghost. You can try to repair from the recovery console, but a clean install will probably be necessary.  If any of the other things are true,  you may have a bad controller on the mainboard, or maybe just bad SATA cables. 

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hi

It is a simple problem. Your HDD is connected to the first SATA port and SSD is connected to the second. BIOS will always boot from the first HDD it detects. So swapping the SATA connectors will make the SSD as the first drive and your problem will be solved. You can also change the boot order from BIOS.

I also don't recommend direct cloning of SSD. Sector alignment of SSD is different from HDD and it may cause issues. Here is a guide to tweaking SSD install of Win 8 which specifically address some tweaks that is applicable in your situation.

http://www.tweakhound.com/2012/11/14/windows-8-ssd-settings-etc/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users