Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB protection and scanning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mochimochi

Mochimochi

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how would one go about protecting themselves from autorun viruses coming from a passport/usb/what have you? :o Since I've read Grinler's list of trustworthy software and have been trying to secure myself from malware since my previous virus troubles :( Now I've recovered, malwarebytes found a trojan in one of my passports and succesfully deleted the file, my antivirus says all clear too.

What's a good way to protect myself from any possible autoruns; is bitdefender usb good? And are normal scanners good for cleaning portables too?

Thanks in advanced. ^^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

I can recommend you MCShield for protection from malware that spread via removable drives. Unlike Bitdefender or Panda USB Vaccine that only block autorun.inf , MCShield has various tehniques (desktop.ini , lnk exploit , conficker method and so on) to find and remove malware. It is very light on resources an can work with any other security software.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

USB Scanning Tools:USB Protection Tools:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Mochimochi

Mochimochi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thank you TwinHeadedEagle and quietman7 for the fast responses :D I'll be sure to check all of them out! ^^

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#6 Joyce_meghan

Joyce_meghan

• Banned Spammer
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Super Reply by quiteman. That will kinda help solve the issue easily and give enough protection.

There's also a software called as USB Disk Security which is also good for such security. I am currently using it and it is quite easy to use as well. It gives an alert if there are any viruses in the USB which you inserted. So give it a shot but I think some users face some problems installing it so do it proper. Here's the link for step by step tutorial so follow that and you'll be fine - www(dot)techyv(dot)com/questions/what-are-autorun-boot-usb-xp-softwares

Not trying to spam here but stupid forums won't allow me to post a proper link:(

Edited by Joyce_meghan, 07 June 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

The link you provided includes another link to a web site I am not familiar with. The url address in that second link contains the word "crack" and that is generally an indication of a site to stay away from.

USB Disk Security may require a license key from the vendor...one way to circumvent that is to obtain a key from a crack or pirated software site.

When searching for and downloading software it is best practice to download from the vendor's home page or a known trustworthy hosting site.

USB Disk Security Home Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users