Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

802.1x Authentification Message- Cannot Access Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ruhaha

ruhaha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:09 PM

My help desk at the office is unable to help, so I am hopeful somewhere here can. I have a company issued lap top with wireless connectivity. I have a wirelss DSL router at home, and for the past 6 months or so have been successfully using my lap top from home, accessing the internet and/or my vpn through work without issue.

A couple of weeks ago I started to randomly lose my network connection while plugged in at the office. I then traveled to a remote site, and encountered the same issue while plugged into their network. Around this time I would also see an error message of some wort when logging in, in regards to 802.1 DHCP something or another. (It has since stopped appearing.) While at the remote site and trying to connect to the network, through a USB cable, I was unsuccessful. We tested another lap top on the same connection, and there was no issue. The on-site guy then set my wireless connection to "turn-off" in the event that a USB cable was plugged in. He believed there was weak DSL signals in the area causing trouble. Well this seemed to work for the remainder of the day.

The following day I was back in the main office, and again I lost connection, briefly, but was restored by rebooting. This is while plugged into the network. That night I took home my lap top, and was/have been unable to use my wireless connection since. I will sit the lap top right next to the router, and it will show that I have an 'Excellent' signal, but I am not able to use the internet, and when trying to get into the company VPN, it immediately fails and asks if I want to redial. (Just as it would if I had no signal.) So it appears I have full strength, but the lap top is acting as though I have no signal.

The odd piece to this equation is I traveled again last week, and while in the hotel, I was able to access their DSL through the wireless connection? As far as I know I have made no changes to my home environment, nor any changes to the lap top.

So why cannot I not use it at home? Any ideas or thoughts on what I should trouble shoot are appreciated. (If you haven't picked up on it by now, I know my way around a little bit, but am in no way what you would call computer saavy.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

This may sound simplistic, but have you tried rebooting the router? Have you changed SSID? (Must be the same on router and computer) Are you on the same channel? Is it possible that when moving from one access point to another your access is being reset to a different setting?

#3 ruhaha

ruhaha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

Simple is good. I am working now...thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users