Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

enable crossfire

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130660

128 gb ssd

1tb 7200rpm data

i7 3770k @stock speed

h100i cooler

8 gb of decent ram

radeon 7850-HIS-new

radeon 6850-XFX-Refurb

850 w PSU

Catlyst control center version 13.4

when i open CCC and go to performance all I have is amd overdrive to OC the first GPU 

and in the gaming tab all i have is settings

this is where you are supposed to be able to enable crossfire

GPUZ see's both cards at proper pci speeds but says crossfire is disabled

any idea's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

the reason it is not there, is that your setup is incapable of running crossfire, for crossfire you need two cards of the same series, and same hundreds series. the first two numbers have to match-you cannot crossfire a 7850 and a 6850. You can crossfire a 7850 and a 7890, because they are of same hundreds series. You can run both cards seperatly for multiple monitor support, but not under crossfire. You would have to find either another 78xx series card or another 68xx series card.

*note hybrid setups have slightly different rules, hybrid crossfire allows you to link a integrated AMD video card with any card of the previous series. please note though, that your motherboard does not support this, and the performance of hybrid systems are usually not worth the hassle

Edited by the_patriot11, 14 May 2013 - 10:49 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

s#!t well the 7850 plays black ops at 130-150 on my machine so i guess i'll just enable lucid and see what happens there intel claims 60% gains with the ivybridge...we'll see about that

#4 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I guess I'll be switching to Nvidia for my next build the only reason I didn't like SLI is that you had to have the same GPU and I believed crossfire had no such limitations. That was their major thing that made them better then Nvidia but since that's not true...

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

well, AMD (ATI) does have more leeway then SLI, with SLI they have to have the exact same GPU and the exact same memory size (well not completly, if you have a 512 meg and a 1 gig card, you can SLI them, but it will only recognize 512 meg on the larger card) and the memory has to be the exact same type.

With AMD, you can use slightly different GPUs, the base has to be the same-hence having to match the first two numbers, however, the GPU speed can differentiate, and unlike NVIDIA, if you have mixed memory, not only will it use it all-both the 512 and 1 gig memory will be used, and you can mix memory types (GDDR3 and GDDR5 for example) so AMD does have a lot more leeway then NVIDIA does. And, if you ask me, better image quality at a better price point then nvidia, however, NVIDIA makes good cards as well. Just use this as a lesson to thoroughly research your hardware before purchasing-that way you don't get nasty little surprises like this.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users