Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube Loads Slowly Despite Adequate UL/DL Speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DAVE_DC

DAVE_DC

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

My ISP is Verizon FIOS, and I have checked my speed and I am at 17/5 MBPS, enough to download any other content quickly like games, movies, Netflix HD...etc.

It seems to me that only youtube performs poorly, almost as if my ISP is throttling data only to youtube.  I know this is completely unethical and illegal, but I can't think of any other reason.  It's not like the old days where one just had a slow connection and you could watch the video buffer, rather it loads quickly and then just stops, no matter how long you wait.  

I run google chrome (I have tried in IE and FF with no luck) in Windows 7 on a very high performing computer.  Any help would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Usually, I pause the video and play it when half way full. It's a never ending story when it comes to buffering problem.

Tekken

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

Try out other viral video sites like Daily Motion and that will tell us if it's just Youtube or if the problem is with Flash. One thing to try is right click on the Youtube player, go into Flash settings and untick Hardware Acceleration.

http://www.dailymotion.com/

#4 DAVE_DC

DAVE_DC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Try out other viral video sites like Daily Motion and that will tell us if it's just Youtube or if the problem is with Flash. One thing to try is right click on the Youtube player, go into Flash settings and untick Hardware Acceleration.

http://www.dailymotion.com/

I will try this on my computer when I get home and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the tip. 

It does seem that my girlfriend's mac replicates the problem as well, so unless we both have some flash issue, I'm still stumped. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users