Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Programs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

I understand that this website is strongly against defragmentation programs and I understand why, my question is if you guys have a pinned topic somewhere explaining how to manually defrag your computer and other important information on it, and could you direct me to that topic because I cannot find it. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hit the windows key and r at the same time and copy the content of the quote box below into the run box and hit enter.

defrag.exe c: -w

Also this link might help.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/157357-defragment-boot-files-create-shortcut.html

Note that this will work for vista and win 7

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Thank you Infirmity.

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I don't believe that we have any problem with defrag programs. It's registry cleaner programs that we have a problem with.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Scheduling of defragmentation to run in the background started in Windows Vista and above http://windows.about.com/od/maintainandfix/ss/SBSdefragWin7_all.htm while in XP is task scheduling http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555098

Tekken

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

I don't believe that we have any problem with defrag programs. It's registry cleaner programs that we have a problem with.

I stand corrected Budapest, Registry Cleaners is mainly what I am refering to. Sorry for the confusion.

Hulk_Tag.png

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Having a 3rd party defragging solution is not necessary as Windows does this itself. Personally, I've had issues caused by 3rd party programs like Defraggler where it screwed up Windows Explorer which kept crashing after the defrag. Really created a mess.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 15 May 2013 - 01:41 AM.

#8 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thank you guys.

Hulk_Tag.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I stand corrected Budapest, Registry Cleaners is mainly what I am refering to. Sorry for the confusion.

FYI: We have that topic covered here: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

There! That is exactly what I wanted, thank you Quietman!

Hulk_Tag.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Mochimochi

Mochimochi

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I use a program called "Defraggler" on my pc; before I just used the default windows defragmenter. It was recommended to me by a friend. Does anybody agree that it's ok or does it have some problems that I don't know about? >.<

#13 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Having a 3rd party defragging solution is not necessary as Windows does this itself. Personally, I've had issues caused by 3rd party programs like Defraggler where it screwed up Windows Explorer which kept crashing after the defrag. Really created a mess.

Ehhh... Look 5 posts up from your post. :crazy: lol

Edited by Slim Nelson, 15 May 2013 - 10:36 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#14 Mochimochi

Mochimochi

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

Ehhh... Look 5 posts up from your post. :crazy: lol

Ohh, my bad @_@ I guess I'll take his word for it then, I won't want that to happen to me either.

Edited by Mochimochi, 16 May 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#15 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Wow, seems like lots of unnessisary paranoia around here for 3rd party defrag tools. I've used a varity of them over the years and never had an issue.

Are 3rd party defrag tools ever nessisary? Of course not. Are they inherintly harmful to your PC? Also, of course not. If all you want is basic defragging, just use the built in Windows utility. But if you want some extra features, there are plenty of repuatable applications out there.

Defraggler and AusLogics Disk Defrag are my favorites.

Defraggler is very simple with a nice, clean interface. One of the reasons I like using 3rd party defrag utilities is for a graphical map of fragmentation (since MS decided to take that out after XP), and Defraggler has lot of customizations for that. You can also do boot-time defrag with it, which is really nice if you don't want to bother booting into a PE environment to get a 100% defrag. You can also set exclusions based on extention and file size, something else the Windows defrag can't do. 

Auslogics can do most of what Defraggler does with an optional Optimize option, which has a couple practical functions. It can consolidate free space, which I believe Windows defrag does by default as well. It can inteligently move system files to the faster section of the hard disk (closer to the center of the platter) and consolidates them away from bulky data files. It can also prevent MFT fragmentation. All of the optimizations probably don't add up to too much of a real-world performance increase though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users