Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop loop reboots - Blue screen - Unmountable boot volume - Stop: 0x000000ED

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joepiphany

joepiphany

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

I have an emachines T3516 Desktop PC running XP Home and when the power button is pressed it goes to the menu that asks how you want to start windows because it was not shut down properly. I choose start windows normally, last known good configuration and safe mode. The first 2 make i o the windows logo screen with the moving bar then a quick blue screen and reboots. Safe mode reboots also with blue stop message screen. The Stop is......

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8AA5C030, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Attached File  IMG_20120112_162622 1280x768.jpg   197.93KB   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20120112_162540 1280x768.jpg   162.56KB   4 downloads

The computer has been sitting here for a while about a year, I was trying to fix it again today. Last time it was working, I turned the computer on after moving its location and the monitor was not connected as I forgot to connect the cable. I connected it while the computer was already on when I noticed the screen did not turn on. I don't know if that could have caused this problem but it might be a possibility. There is no new hardware or software that was installed prior to this. Windows XP came pre-installed and I do not have a Windows CD for recovery console. Microsoft website list setting the bios to fail safe default, is that an option? Or pulling out the CMOS battery? The only thing I saw in Bios was setup defaults i think, I'm assuming that's the same. Can anybody give me some helpful info here? I tried Googling the stop message to see if there was a proper explanation for my problem but there was not. I tried looking up the stop message on the Microsoft website and the same thing. It's their message and they can't even tell you exactly what it is. Help Please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi

"Unmountable boot volume" error is related to hard disk. Major reasons for this BSOD are -

a ) Connectivity issues. That is loose or faulty HDD cable

b ) Corrupted file system due to sudden power off.

c ) Bad sectors in the HDD surface or a failing HDD.

Here is the Microsoft support article about this error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

Try the following steps one by one.

1 ) Replace the HDD cable (SATA or IDE). If there is no spare cable available, temporarily borrow the CD drive cable.

2 ) If the issue still remains, boot from the XP CD and open "Recovery Console". From there you should run "CHKDSK C: /R" command to fix any possible  C drive file system corruption. Read the below guide with picture illustration to know how to boot in to the recovery console.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm

Post how the system works after doing the above steps.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 May 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#3 joepiphany

joepiphany
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I just tried the cable from the cd drive and its the same thing. As I stated above, I do not have a WIndows XP CD so I can not open recovery console. Am I pretty much out of luck? From the Microsoft link you provided, the second parameter is not 0xC0000032, so it shouldn't be files system damage. I tried the cables and that's not it. Should I try the Fail Safe settings in BIOS? If so, is that the same as default, and also, what will happen if I change the BIOS settings?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi

Yes, try loading the setup defaults first.

You can create a "Recovery console CD" by following the instructions from the below link.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=242982

Even though the second parameter is different, you should run a checkdisk using recovery console. Also checking the disc surface for bad sector is necessary.  To do that download "Seatools for DOS" from the below link and run a "Long test" with it.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Post the result of surface scan in next reply.

#5 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Its probably a good time to replace the pc. Windows XP is only supported till March next year. If you REALLY need to breathe life into this pc, you could try downloading Universal Boot CD and burning it to a cd, boot from it and test the integrity of the hard disk using a manufacturer specfic tool. Then, depending on the outcome, try to repair windows using a Windows XP CD, or reinstall XP. My advice, if you have the cash, is to go to a proper PC repair shop, buy a new pc, and ask them to transfer your personal stuff to it. They should do this for around $50-$80 providing the old hard disk is not badly damaged.

#6 joepiphany

joepiphany
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the help. I tried the default settings in BIOS and still nothing. I will post again when I am able to create a Recovery console CD. Again, thank you very much. Just one more question, now that I set the BIOS to default, what would be the outcome or effects to my system if I were to repair it?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi

Loading BIOS default do nothing harm to your system. You may need to set CD as the first boot device in BIOS  to boot from the created CDs. I suggest running Seatool first. It will report any errors in your HDD. If it is failing we don't need to proceed running check disk from 'Recovery Console'. If Seatool certifies your HDD as PASSED (no errors) proceed to run the check disk. 

#8 joepiphany

joepiphany
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I typed 1 for windows installation type and nothing happens in the arcdc recovery cd. I also tried running the seagate tool but I could not move the mouse to click through the prompts. I have a usb mouse by the way. Here is a pic of how far I got in the recovery console, I pressed enter several times after nothing happened.

#9 joepiphany

joepiphany
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Sorry, the pic didn't post. Here it goes.

Attached Files

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi

Please use the Seatool For DOS TeXt version which works without mouse support.

http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsDOS112.ISO

4672-6.jpg

Press L to start the long test.

Report whether it finds any errors during the test. After that we can try to repair the file system corruption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users