Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Type of USB Plug For Harddrive Restore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phntm

phntm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I need to restore files from my hard drive, onto another computer, and I am wondering which type of USB plug I would use for this? Like what plug do I plug into my harddrive that connects to the computer I'll be using to restore my files. I'm fixing to use filescavenger (just to give you an idea of the type of restore I will be undergoing).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hi phntm

What type of computer (desktop/laptop) do you intend to transfer your files? I presume its a laptop since you've mentioned of USB. Did you recover files from a bad hard drive using the scavenger software?

Tekken

#3 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for replying. Yeah it's a laptop I will be using. I have not tried to recover yet still need to buy the adaptor thing. Just don't/didn't want to buy the wrong one.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Is the source hard drive as SATA or IDE from a laptop or desktop? For laptops, they are usually called enclosures for 2.5/3.5 http://www.newegg.com/External-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92 The universal types are this http://intrl.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/USB-20-to-IDE-or-SATA-Adapter-Cable~USB2SATAIDE

Tekken

#5 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

It's a SATA, would the Apricorn's DriveWire Universal Hard Drive Adapter work?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Scrolled down the page from your link and found the Sanoxy USB 2.0 HDD enclosure which looks much cheaper here. This is what I've been using for 2.5" laptop SATA hard drives.

Tekken

#7 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

It's alright, thanks, cheaper is better but I am going to get the apricorn only because I have to hurry up and do this fast, if it doesn't work I'll return it and get the one you suggested.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Ok, let us know how it turns out. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#9 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

Thanks I will, I appreciate your help, have a good weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users