Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


$Badclus taking up excessive drivespace

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bottomshot


  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:19 PM



attached to my WinXP SP3 machine (using NTFS), my Toshiba Canvio external HD (G:) recently became inaccessable, and I used Piriform's Recuva to successfully recover my data, approximately 190GB. I recovered to a brand new WD Passport 1TB external drive, labeled F: with 963GB of free space.


Now when checking properties of the F: drive, it indicates 658 GB are in use. Inside the Recuva results window, I see the file $Badclus is 466GB in size. From the file info tab:


Filename: $BadClus
Path: G:\

Size: 466 GB (500,105,760,768)

State: Not deleted

Creation time: 7/27/2010 03:56

Last modification time: 7/27/2010 03:56

Last access time: 7/27/2010 03:56

Comment: No overwritten clusters detected.

Data streams: 2



My original goal was to simply save the entire drive before it fails. But after some research I think I may have copied the MFT and bad sector info to the new drive?  I did tell Recuva to recover the entire drive by checking G: in the file tree, rather than pick and choose files to recover.


So has 466GB of new drive been marked as bad? Can I get chkdsk or a third party software to recheck the disk and straighten this out?  This is new territory for me, I am somewhat confused and not sure of the risks to my data. I couldn't find an exact solution on the web.


Thank you for any guidance you can supply.











BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 jamiep87


  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

I would run chkdsk on that failing drive and see if its able to repair the files. Chkdsk "driveletter" /f should do the trick.

#3 bottomshot

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

chkdsk would not run on the failing Toshiba drive, giving the error message "unable to determine volume version and state, chkdsk aborted".  So I went ahead and retrieved my data, and then I'll troubleshoot or reformat.  Now the new drive has this $badclus business, and I've managed to stump the internet looking for answers. I ran chkdsk /f /r on the new drive but it still indicates 650+GB being used.

#4 w98fixer


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

One possibility would be to copy out your recovered data then run a full format, not a quick one, on the drive. That should cause the $Badclus file to be rebuilt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users