Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping HD: Reinstall XP Pro or buy Win 7?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 McLiam

McLiam

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

My local computer tech says to go on with XP, but I'm concerned that I'll be left out there without security updates etc.

Any thoughts?

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

XP has less than a year of updates so going to 7 is not a bad idea.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I second X. XP was very good operating system, I used it for years, but support for it ends in April 2014. I switched over to Win 7 about December 2010 and have never regretted it. That is not to say it has not had its moments, but most of them were self inflicted.

It also has the advantage that some surprisngly old software will run on it. It is quite different in appearance from XP, but the learning curve is not that steep. I would not be surprised if after a month or two you wondered why you hadn't changed earlier.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

I am using XP, and frankly before I'd switch to Win 7, I think I'd switch to Linux 

#5 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

I am really happy with 7. I also like linux for certain things.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well I have found that every new version of "Windopes" is bigger, more bloated, and slower than all the versions that came before.

#7 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

Well I have found that every new version of "Windopes" is bigger, more bloated, and slower than all the versions that came before.

Same is true of Ubuntu and Mac OS. In the case of Windows 7, you are wrong. It is less bloated than Vista :-)

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

Only because "Vista" was super bloated. If you skip "Vista" and go from Win3.1, Win95, Win98, Win98SE, WinME, Win2000, WinXP, Win7, what I said was true. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Admin note:  Can we stick to answering the questions/issues...raised by the OP...please?

Unless I've misread...the OP didn't ask for a debate re the various O/Ses available, past and present.

Thank you :).

Louis

#10 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Firstly, run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to see if your pc can actually run Windows 7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

If it can run Windows 7 at a decent speed (you will need 2GB RAM to get decent performance) then I would go with that. If not, put XP on it, or you could try a lightweight linux variant, eg lubuntu. Bear in mind that come April 2014, any XP system will be vulnerable to exploits on web pages etc.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

It could be time for a new PC if your current PC can't run Windows 7. Those advising the use of Linux should keep in mind that it's not really an option for the average user. 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows.

Support is ending for Windows XP
Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 8, 2014

An unsupported version of Windows will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update. These include security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, which can steal your personal information...

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?

Microsoft Support Lifecycle for XP
Windows lifecycle fact sheet
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users