Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove login password/ forgot password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 mach_v

mach_v

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hello All,

I need to remove user passwords. Yes I have removed Admin password. I have used Trinity, Hiren's boot disk, UBCD and other linux and password removal programs. I want to remove the user passwords from the login. I have done the safe mode startup and disabled the EUFI. I cannot login to the admin or safe mode unless i enter the user password. Which is what I am trying to remove. I have watched videos and read tutorials and all of them tell me to login and then change the password. Is there any possible way to remove this? I am talking about the main user login that has the user name with the email under it. Is there a way to remove them from pulling the hard drive and accessing it through usb as an external drive. I have been through multiple forums and all with the same thing. They all tell me to login and then change the safe mode or user settings. I want to remove the user password without loging in. PLEASE do not send me a site that shows me how to remove password after loging in or login and change the start up or settings. I already know how to do those things. Like I said I already removed admin password, but I cannot login or it does not show that user as a choice to login. Yes I am very frustrated with this. I think I am going to quit my job and quit working on computers if this is what Is installed for the future.  :crazy:  <<<<this is how I feel. DUMB!!   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

That's a touchy subject...yes, there are ways to do what you want, but...I'm hesitant to assist, since there's no way for me to know what your intentions are or whether or not you have ownership of/ should have access to  the PC in question.  I know that sounds unhelpful at best and rude at the least, but...I'd go back to Google, if I were you. 

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I am a repair technician at The Source.( http://sourcesys.com/ )my contact is michael@sourcesys.com I am HP certified and have a C.E.E.T. degree. A woman said her daughter set up the PC and didn't write down and/or can't remember the password she used for the email account. If you still don't believe that my intentions are true please call me or email me. phone number is 330-963-1001 (mike) 

#4 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Purely for testing purposes on your own system, or on systems you have the authority to experiment on,  there is a utility some people have used to "clear" a password on an NTFS system and otherwise edit the registry.  If you are interested in reading about it, here is a website- http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/  I've also read that some people have tested the strength of their passwords with a utility that can be found at http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Of course, the operating system you are testing does make a difference, so be sure to read the instructions thoroughly.  Remember when experimenting this way that you use these instructional tools at your own risk.  Make sure you have a clone or a decent backup.  I hope this information is useful to you.

Edited by Required Field, 14 May 2013 - 02:37 PM.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#5 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Required Field, I do appreciate your help but I have tried ophcrack and ntpassword which is on Hiren's boot disk. They only remove the admin password not the user login passwords. I guess I will have to charge them a backup and reload of the OS instead of the $10 password removal we charge for XP,Vista and 7. Which is easy to remove. Windows 8 is horribly designed for this. I hope I can back it up externally. People will not stand for this just like when vista came out. People are already having me downgrade to Windows 7. Just like when Vista came out I did downgrades do XP. Well thank you for the help. I am going to also file a complaint to microsoft, but like always they don't care. 

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ah, yes, well, Windows 8 is an entirely different creature.  The only other thing I might experiment with, if it were me, is to load up the latest Fedora distro on a live dvd, then use wine tools to run saminside.  http://www.insidepro.com/eng/saminside.shtml   Will it work?  I don't know, but it's worth a try.http://fedoraproject.org/  On the positive side, this just shows that Windows 8 is, indeed, more secure than previous versions.   Good luck, my friend.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

A woman said her daughter set up the PC and didn't write down and/or can't remember the password she used for the email account.

For email passwords use FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD to reset it.

#8 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

http://file://localhost/C:/Users/Tech%20Source/Pictures/windows-8-logon-screen-20.pngwindows-8-logon-screen-20.png

Here is the image of a logon screen to windows 8 that comes up when turning on the computer. If you notice the logon name then under that is the email then where you enter the password. This is what I am trying to remove or reset. Her email password does not work. Also there is no reset or change password or forgot password on the logon page after selecting a password. (or wrong password) The only way is to logon and reset it. I am trying to remove the logon password from the account user logon screen. This windows 8 is over secure for personal use. People forget there passwords all the time. I have at least 1 person a month bring in their pc or mac for a password removal. Now If they have windows 8 I cannot do this. I am going to recommend to everyone NOT to buy windows 8. I thought vista was bad, but not as horrifying as windows 8. vista was just slow. windows 8 is over secure. People don't need over secure just businesses and government do. Again thank you all for your attempts and advice. hopefully someone will come out with an override for this. Looks like I am going to have to get my programming skills back in order. :lmao:

#9 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

If your customer set up their user account with a Windows Live ID, then you're in good shape, and Queen-Evie's advice may work.  The customer's live ID is just like any other hotmail account or similar, and he/she would have set up the account with an alternate e-mail addrerss listed or passphrases/security questions to answer in case this very thing happens.  Just have your customer go to the live ID sign in on another computer and request that the password be e-mailed to the alternate e-mail address, or answer the security questions to reset it.

#10 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Ok I will ask the woman to do that, but she probably thinks I don't know what I am doing since I cannot remove a password.(yes I have an ego problem) I am also going to try the live linux cd and experiment on another pc. I don't want to mess the costumers pc up  :nono: . Her daughter must have created a new password and did not tell her about it. Hopefully this will do the trick. I will let you know thanks again.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Required Field, thank you for mentioning changing the password would have to be done on a different computer.

Even though I realized what the issue is I failed to say that. My bad.

#12 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Required Field, thank you for mentioning changing the password would have to be done on a different computer.

Even though I realized what the issue is I failed to say that. My bad.

I'm sure we both knew what you meant, and the advice is solid, so no worries.  :thumbup2:

#13 mach_v

mach_v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Any advice is good advise. She hasn't called me back yet but I will let you know. Thank you both Queen-Evie an Required Field.

#14 eresendez

eresendez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

I tried ophcrack, hirensboot, and konboot, but none work what does work is PASSSCAPE. Just enable legacy mode, restart with the cd in the disk drive.Now this part may be different for you, i have a hp 64bit, AS soon as the computer boots i press down ESC, which pauses booting, i then press enter and it gives me a list of options on the top left corner. One of them is F9(boot from CD-Drive). Once the program boots its really simple just choose the USER, click next and then just change the password, reboot remove cd, and disable legacy mode. 

FYI, I enabled legacy mode, and set the computer to boot from cd drive but that did not work, unless i did the whole ESC button thing. 

http://www.passcape.com/

Edited by eresendez, 26 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#15 Lmeoseefe

Lmeoseefe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

For your situation I think two ways you can try:

1. Creating a reset disk through downloading a free reset program, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd). It can help you erase your Windows password instead of recovering it. You can only boot to a burned CD created with the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor ISO file. After running the program, you can log in to your Windows account without entering a password at all.

2. Using paid reset software, Anmosoft Windows Password Reset. You can follow the steps to reset:

Step 1  Create a Windows 8 admin password reset disk with a CD/DVD or USB drive

1. Download and install Anmosoft Windows Password Reset on a workable computer. Insert a blank CD/DVD or USB drive into the computer and run the installed software.
    2. Select the device you have inserted to burn a Windows 8 password reset disk.Then click Start.

3. Click Yes to burn a Windows 8 password reset disk. After these simple steps, we finish the burning of the password reset disk.

Step 2  Reset the forgotten Windows 8 password

1. Insert the burned CD/DVD or USB drive into the locked computer and restart it. Then, select your target Windows system, and then click Next.
    2. Select the user accounts you want to reset password for, click Next to continue the recovery of Windows 8 password process.
    3. Take out the disk after successfully resetting your password, and click Reboot to restart the computer. You'll find that you can log in the Windows system without password.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users