Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel® G41 Express Chipset

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nav2684

nav2684

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hi,

Is Intel® G41 Express Chipset - http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/g41-express-chipset.html really compatible with intel's 2.4GHz CPU (I think it is intel celeron processor)? Currently I have a intel D845GVSR board and I think it is faulty somewhere. I just want to replace it. I had a 512MB DDR SDRAM (simtronics) and I added a new 1GB DDR SDRAM (kingston) along with it. After adding 1gb RAM my pc hangs sometimes or automatically restarts. To confirm this I removed 1GB ram and ran the machine on 512mb ram but the problem remains same. Earlier 512MB was working fine. Is motherboard faulty somewhere or ram sockets faulty? What to do now I am not sure... please help me out... 

Edited by nav2684, 14 May 2013 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hi

From the description you given,  i don't think your Motherboard is faulty. First rule when it came to RAM upgrade is to never mix old and new RAM sticks. Their speed and timing values may be different and cause restarts, blue screens etc. 1 GB RAM is more than enough for your system. So remove the old 512 MB and use only the new 1 GB and see if it solves the issue.

To your first question, there are some socket 478 Intel G41 chipset boards (China makes) are available but probably you may need DDR 2 RAM also. I don't recommend them. It will be better if you can upgrade your system with new dual core CPU, board and RAM. 

#3 nav2684

nav2684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

Hi

I also tried 1GB ram on my machine (without 512Mb ram) and it hangs again. Is this due to two different brands' sticks which is kingston 1gb and simtronics 512mb? When I purchased my pc 8 years back it was loaded with 512MB SDRAM but few months back I added a 1GB DDR SDRAM and this problem started then. Now my pc hangs on both RAMS on single usage. Help me out.... :lmao:

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hi

Before doing any other steps, try this. (plug only one memory at a time )

-Remove the side cover of the system.

-Remove CMOS battery from slot

-Reinsert the CMOS battery after 15 minute.

-When powering on system will ask to load setup defaults. Do so and boot the system. Check how it works now. 

Above steps will revert back any accidentally changed BIOS settings. If the issue still remains, we should check other possible causes than RAM. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users