Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee caused so many problems... even with start up!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TidalWaves

TidalWaves

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

so long story short, McAfee caused a whole list of issues that they have yet to fix up or I now have to fix! What a pain in the [censored]!

1. Caused interference with my keyboard. that issues stopped after i removed the program. they said it will take the rest of this week before they'll work on the issue and see what's going on. My case is 2 weeks old and in teir 2.5 support.

2. Caused slower computer response time which i fixed by removing the offending antivirus. {RESOLVED}

3. At one point A Mcafee Tech had to boot my computer in safe mode but he did something while in safemode which causes the computer to occasionally boot in safemode with networking. However this time, i can't get it to boot normally.

I followed the following steps here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows7 but it does not fix the issue. the safeboot option is NOT selected yet the computer STILL boots with Safemode with networking. In the General tab, normal mode is selected. even when booting i hit F8 and select normal mode and it boots in safe mode. The computer will not restore at all. I can't use sleep mode... it's redicilous since i've spent over an hour trying to fix this and the computer's going "lol nope not happening". Anyone know how to fix this safemode with networking issue? it's driving me up the wall. because i'm following the tutorial step for step for windows 7 and it's not working

Edited by TidalWaves, 13 May 2013 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi

This can be happen if the default BCD boot entry is messed up. While in safe mode enter the following command and paste the output in next reply.

BCDEdit.exe /enum ACTIVE

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 May 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#3 TidalWaves

TidalWaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi

This can be happen if the default BCD boot entry is messed up. While in safe mode enter the following command and paste the output in next reply.

BCDEdit.exe /enum ACTIVE

what does BCD mean. and where to i put the command? command prompt I'm assuming?

Edit: came up with this in command propmt: "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Acess is denied"

Now what?

Edited by TidalWaves, 13 May 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi

Run the command in administrator mode. That is right click on the CMD and choose run as administrator. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx

Then enter bcdedit /enum

BCD means "Boot Configuration Data" and we are checking if the default entry is changed.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 May 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#5 TidalWaves

TidalWaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

tumblr_mmrufiSTca1r8mal2o1_500.png

ok so what line are we looking to check out.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

Hi

Try "automatic startup repair" feature of Windows 7. This will automatically repair any changes made to the BCD. Refer this guide to know how to do it properly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

#7 TidalWaves

TidalWaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm not sure what happened or how it happened, but this morning before i could try the above method, the computer shut down for some update. when I turned the computer back on it started in Normal mode. i'm not sure why. for a computer I built myself, it sure is throwing a lot of random curve balls at me.

Edit: The computer still won't create a restore point. i get some time out error. I'll write down the error code when it pops up again

Edit 2: error code is 0x81000101

Edited by TidalWaves, 14 May 2013 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users