Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba satellite a205-S5853 shuts down automatically at random times

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

This laptop is running windows 7.  It shuts down randomly , sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes a couple of hours.  I thought it was overheating, but then I can turn it on right after it shuts down so its probably not overheating.  Turns out whenever the power adapter is plugged in this happens, and when I run it only on batttery it runs fine.  So why does it act like this with the power adapter plugged in?  I did use another power adapter earlier like about two months ago that was for a different brae 

nd of laptop.  The voltage rating on that adapter was the same as what is listd on this laptop but the current rating was lower, could that havdone some damage?

And how can I fix this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

Hi

This is a well known issue of some of the old Toshiba laptops including your model. This issue is caused by NEC/TOKIN OE128 ​chip capacitor used to filter the CPU core voltage. I suggest you to approach a laptop chip level repair firm to fix the issue. Here is a couple of links which is explaining the issue. Don't try to fix it yourself unless you know SMD electronics very well.

http://badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8991

http://www.wiisingonline.com/NEC-TOKIN-0E128-OE128-Proadlizer-Capacitors-solve-Toshiba-Laptop-Problem-p-4088-272.html

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 May 2013 - 04:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users