Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba satellite A205-S5853 shuts down automatically at random

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Help!

I have a toshiba satellite A205-S5853.  Lately the computer has started acting strange.  It just shuts down by itself at random times.  I thought it may be overheating so I opened up the laptop, cleaned the vents and fan, and reapplied the thermal paste.  Two questions here, generally there are two things under the copper heat sink, do I need to apply thermal paste on both of them or only one and if so which one.  Second question, one of the chip has a thermal pad or something between it and the heatsink.  Should I replace this also with thermal paste

I did wonder that if the computer was over heating, then after it shut itself off, how was I able to turn right back on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

sorry you did not get a reply till now.

The two things under the heatsink are the CPU and the GPU (graphics). and yes they both need something between it and the heatsink.

I ran into this before that the CPU had thermal paste and the GPU had a thermal pad. The GPU was slightly lower than the CPU so it seems the manufacturer used the pad to make up the difference.

It is possible the paste applied that thick would run away from the heatsink, so following their lead I put it back the way it was with paste on the CPU and the pad on the GPU.

Your last question I can't answer. Clean it up and try it out.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

caperdog:

I did reapply thermal paste between the cpu and the heatsink only? tShould I also apply thermal paste between the GPU and the thermal pad  or just remove the thermal pad and just apply thermail paste betweejn the GPU and the heatsink

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi

Leave the thermal pad there. Under any circumstances never replace it with thermal paste or combine with it. 

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

I'll just say that Toshibas are so prone to overheating problems that it's not even funny. I have one (though it's not running at the moment), and it had an issue where it would get so hot I'd have to put an external fan underneath it; it was either that or burn my hand.  I still like Toshiba as a brand though regardless of their problems. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users