Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about avast! malware alert.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Korin

Korin

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

What does this mean?

avast! saved your computer from crashing You just dodged a bullet

Good thing avast! had your back.

and the red pop-up for avast! - does this mean I got saved? Is it good thing if this happens?

EDIT: Moved To Antivirus ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 13 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi -

It sounds like one of the avast! Shields have stopped some item prior to it entering your system

Were you browsing (on-line) at the time on a site that may have been suspect ??

As a non avast! user, I can only guess it is their normal reaction to a minor infection that was caught or prevented -

You could ask this at the avast! forum for a better idea of the message, or there may be some avast! users here that have seen this.

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

avast! saved your computer from crashing...You just dodged a bullet...Good thing avast! had your back.

That warning is from avast! Newwork Shield indicating a malicious URL was blocked. With this particular detection, avast! also provides Infection details identifying the URL and process.

Be aware that even legitimate web sites and the ads they display can be a source of infection.

At least one in 10 web pages are booby-trapped with malware...The tricks include hacking into a web server to plant malware, or planting it within third-party widgets or advertising...

About eight out of every 10 Web browsers are vulnerable to attack by exploits...Even worse, about 30% of browser plug-ins are perpetually unpatched...

One in 10 web pages laced with malware

...Internet users are 21 times more likely to become infected by visiting a legitimate online shopping site than by visiting a site used for illegal file-sharing...The problem isn't in the sites themselves; it's in the ads...

Mainstream Websites More Likely to Harbor Malware
Every 3.6 seconds a website is infected

Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Hackers are also known to exploit Flash vulnerabilities which can lead to malware infection. When visiting a website that hosts an HTML page which requires a Flash script, users may encounter a malicious Flash redirector or malicious script specifically written to exploit a vulnerability in the Flash Interpreter which causes it to execute automatically in order to infect a computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Korin

Korin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Thanks, I will ask at the avast! forum. Also I use ad-block plus so ads won't give me viruses. Also the link that made it go alert, it was false postive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users