Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Disc Wipe Out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ignorant 1

ignorant 1

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Hi again, I'm about to perform a disc wipe before reinstalling windows, but I wanted to be sure of it's process and wanted to know what I will be seeing to verify that all is proceeding correctly. For ex. on boot will I be seeing something like ( KERNEL DOS ) or anything similar?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

First, be sure you don't have any bar to a reinstall from the xp disk. (HP at times has a hidden partition). Plop in the disk, and follow the prompts. When windows selects a partition, delete all the old ones and reformat with ntfs file system. If you don't you will end up with 2 copies of windows. I am assuming you want to wipe the drive completely? If so, you will need to backup your data elsewhere or lose it.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

O.k. thanks, I will follow your suggestions. However I was curious as to what I will be seeing on screen which will indicate that the wipe is in progress and running in order. Thanks again....

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:39 PM

It will depend on the program you use, I use Wipe Drive which show the percentage of the wipe as it works. Btw, it took eight hours to wipe my 200GB hdd, make sure you have the time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:34 PM

Do what I told you and it will take about 20 minutes. You will see a progress bar that will let you know the status. It is good, efficient and you do not need third party software. Windows is built to do this. It is easily understandable. The only thing (again) you need to be aware of is: all data is lost and delete all copies of windows (existing partitions) The program will prompt.

#6 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:45 PM

one thing I forgot. In the future if you want to reformat (wipe) a drive that is not your primary c drive, open my computer, right click the drive and select format. You will be warned all data will be lost and when you click it will be clean as a whistle.If you choose quick format, takes maybe 2 minuter at the outside. It is advisable to use NTFS as the file system.

#7 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:05 AM

Hey Gunner, followed your instructions and it seems all went well except for the fact that I have 2 win xp to choose from at boot, 1 of which is a dud. I did as you said and deleted old partitions (actually deleted everything and probably shouldn't have, but it's o.k. I'll start fresh) but still come up with 2 win xp.
Dosen't matter at the moment, the important thing is everthing looks well and running. I thank you kindly, couldn't have done it without your advice. And thank you dc3. :thumbsup:

#8 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:37 PM

Best thing to do now is find the old one that doesn't work in your programs and delete it a piece at a time. Make sure it is the old one! Did you reformat to ntfs before installing?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

Wiping a drive and formating a drive are two different things. Wiping a drive overwrites every place on the hard drive. There are several types.
Quick wipe 1 pass
DoD (Dept. of Defence Standard) wipe 7 Passes
Gutman wipe 35 passes
I use the Quick wipe every time I fresh install Windows. This makes sure no virus' reinfect the OS.
Formatting a drive only removes the marker that the OS uses to index the information on the drive. That is how programs unformat or undelete information presumed lose. The files (data) are still acessable until the OS overwrites them. Without an index of the data the OS will not warn you the data is about to be destroyed.
Depending howslow your machine is it could take 8 hour , but I have seen it take over 24 hours.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users