Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Intel Rapid Storage without Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marcio80

Marcio80

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Sony Vaio Ultrabook model with Intel Rapid Storage. Sometimes a have to format these ultrabooks, for example, when they fail to boot Windows 7 and I can't recover it. The problem is that I can't find a way to disable it without Windows. Unlike Dell or others vendors, there isn't a BIOS option or hotkey to disable it before system boot.

I use norton ghost to restore images, so what I'm doing:

1. Use windows 7 install disk with F6 key to add Intel Rapid drivers;

2. Format it;

3. Install intel rapid software and disable acceleration;

4. Restore image with norton ghost.

Googled the net for a solution but I can't find similar problem. Could you help me?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hi

Are you talking about the "Intel Smart Response technology" ?. It requires a SSD and HDD configured in RAID mode. The SSD is used as a cache memory between HDD and RAM.  Is it the situation you are facing ?

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 May 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#3 Marcio80

Marcio80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

No, its Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/sftwr-prod/imsm). The ultrabook has a 300gb hard drive and 12gb msata ssd. Intel RST creates some sort of cache in this msata ssd. When I try to use norton ghost, acronis, etc. they can't find the 300gb hard drive nor the 12gb ssd.

ps. Found this:

Intel® Smart Response Technology is an Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RST) caching feature that improves computer system performance. It allows a user to configure computer systems with an SSD used as cache memory between the hard disk drive and system memory. This provides the advantage of having a hard disk drive (or a RAID volume) for maximum storage capacity while delivering an SSD - like overall system performance experience. Intel® Smart Response Technology caching is implemented as a single drive letter solution; no additional drive letter is required for the SSD device used as cache.

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

Edited by Marcio80, 13 May 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi

How did you use Ghost and Acronis ?. If you are not using the WinPE version, try that.

#5 Marcio80

Marcio80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

Winpe? I'll try. For norton I tried hiren's boot cd (15.2 restored) and the program from symantec that creates a usb bootable ghost. Acronis I tried from hiren's too.

ps. just got an email from Sony support saying that there's no BIOS/hotkey way to disable Intel RST... :(

My hope is finding a software that can read iRST partitions.

Edited by Marcio80, 14 May 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hi

Using the standalone WinPE 3.0 version of Acronis probably solve your issue.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/24254

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users