Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pairing Browser With Modem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Good morning. I am using a HP 6620 desktop with a Qwest Q1000 modem/browser on a home network with one other pc. I have a lot of video files on my pc and stream them to a PS3 playstation which feeds a Sony tv. I get a lot of freeze ups and stuttering while streaming. I don't think my browser is adequate for what I am doing. I want to install a Netgear WNDR3700V4 N600 Wireless Dual Band router. I understand this router does not have a modem in it. Can I use this router paired with the Q1000. If so do I need to disable the Q1000's router and use only the modem part and how do I go about doing that. If I can't use them together what kind of modem do I get? Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

The Qwest Q1000 Is a ADSL modem. The Netgear WNDR3700V4 N600 is an ADSL router, It will connect directly to your ISP without another modem. You will need your account information from your ISP to program the new router. Generally it consist of a username and password. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thank you very much sir. Its good of you to give advice about another company's product.

#4 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Chad, I had asked this question to the folks at Netgear. They finally answered saying that I have to have a modem in addition to the router. Is there something I'm not understanding here? Thanks

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you have DSL, you will have to have a modem-provided by the ISP with a RJ-11 phone jack port in the back of it. This runs from the phone-jack back to your modem. Also you will still need the WNDR3700V4 N600 Netgear wireless router as well to be able to provide wireless through-out your home, as well as manage the network.

DSL runs off of the pppoE protocol which requires you to connect via username and password to the network. The RJ-11 port in the back of the modem, and the phone jack is what talks to each other saying that you have entered the correct credentials, now provide access for this user.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, Netgear's discription says ADSL router, further reading in the Owners manual there is no RJ11 connection or PPOE settings. I apologize for my mistake you will need both the modem and the router. You could opt for a different model that does support PPPOE TP-Link, Linksys, and Netgear all have models that support it. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Sorry, Netgear's discription says ADSL router, further reading in the Owners manual there is no RJ11 connection or PPOE settings. I apologize for my mistake you will need both the modem and the router. You could opt for a different model that does support PPPOE TP-Link, Linksys, and Netgear all have models that support it. 

The only downside to this is that not all ISP's allow you to swap out the modem. You will need to talk to your ISP, and find out what models that they support and/if they allow swapping out the modem. Doing so, will save you headache when you try to set it up.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users