Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No Boot Device Available"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Redingo

Redingo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I got a used Dell XPS 600 from my brother. But on start-up it gave the "no boot device available" message. It turns out he removed both hard drives for another computer, and put in a laptop hard drive and told me everything was fine with the computer. I replaced the laptop hard drive with a 500G SATA drive, one that he had taken out before.

Now, I have tried booting a few different OS's from a USB drive, a CD, even tried to clone a drive from a functioning computer. With those failures, I removed the battery from the motherboard in an attempt to clear the CMOS. 

OS's tried: Unbuntu, Linux MINT 14.1 kde, Windows XP, Windos 98.

The computer recognizes the hard drives and dvd drives, and says they are controlled by the BIOS. CD/DVD drive is set to first in the boot sequence.

System : Dell DXG051
BIOS Version: A09

I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter. Please let me know if more info is needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

<<Now, I have tried booting a few different OS's from a USB drive, a CD, even tried to clone a drive from a functioning computer.>>

You cannot remove or clone...a hard drive from another system...place it in a different system...and expect it to boot....when said hard drive reflects an installed O/S.

Windows must be installed anew (clean install), a clone will not work...the clone reflects the settings/drivers/operating system...that apply to another system.

I don't know anything about linux, but if those CDs are bootable...then you should be able to run linux on the system mentioned.  The hard drive does not even enter into the equation with such distros.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#3 Redingo

Redingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Aside from that, Is there anything else I can try?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi 

Old Dell BIOS are tricky and it is not easy to figure out the Boot order changing location in those. I have seen some old dells in which we need to manually "OFF" the unused IDE port. If not, they throw a drive error and won't boot..

Most of the Dell systems do have a hot key to select boot device. In most case it is F12. So try pressing F12 during powering on to get the boot menu and select the CD drive from there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users