Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon HD5770

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 espoo_hopper

espoo_hopper

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hi All

I'm in the last stages of a first build and am trying to fit a Sapphire Radeon HD5770 GPU to a Gigabyte GA Z77 D3H motherboard. I installed it, plugged in it's PCIe power supply, plugged in the DVI cable to the monitor and switched on. The monitor does not respond - just a blank screen, although the card is apparently functioning properly (lights up, fan operates). What am I doing wrong? How do I load the driver with no screen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hi

What you got is a "no display" issue. As you are doing it the first time, several things can go wrong. Your motherboard came with an on board VGA and DVI ports. So first step is to remove the Graphics card and check the display with on board VGA. If it works, re insert the card in PCI-E slot and connect the extra power header. Now clear the CMOS  by removing the battery for five minutes and recheck the display.  If it still didn't works, the card might be faulty.

If you don't get display even in on board VGA, follow the steps.

1 ) Remove the entire components from cabinet. (wear a glove to avoid static electricity or touch the cabinet metal )

2 ) Double verify that CPU is inserted in the socket in the correct way. Refer the manual came with the board to know how to fit it correctly.

3 ) Insert only one RAM preferably in the first slot. Also connect the SMPS.

4 ) Now power on the board and test the display. If it works, insert remaining RAM modules and check.

5 )If everything is OK , connect the graphic card ant test the display.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#3 espoo_hopper

espoo_hopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi

My apologies for not being clear. The on board graphics work perfectly. I loaded everything else and the new graphics card was the last element. When the monitor had no signal I was concerned because I could not shut down properly and am not keen to just switch off the power button. That's why I was hoping that I had missed something in BIOS. The CMOS has been cleared and battery removed.

It could always be a faulty card, but I am hoping it is something much simpler. I removed the card, went back to on board graphics and looked in the BIOS, but could find nothing obvious.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi

Most Graphics card came with 2 DVI ports. Did you tried both of them. If you still can't get display even after reinserting the card and clearing BIOS , there are only two possibilities remaining. Either your motherboard PCI-E slot (less likely) or the graphics card (more likely) will be faulty. If you have a spare system, try the card in it.  

#5 espoo_hopper

espoo_hopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi

First problem is solved. The card is now working and driver is installed. I needed a DVI to VGA adapter to link to the monitor and I used a recently purchased fairly cheap one. I swopped it for a better quality one and hey presto!

The second problem you may be able to explain. I would be grateful. The card seems to be working well in as much as it states it is functioning correctly. The monitor I'm using has a native resolution of 1440x900, but the maximum available from the ATI valid list is 1024x 32 bit. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. On my Windows XP system I could access 1440x900 on a 128mb card for this monitor. I expected a huge array of possible resolutions from a 1gb graphics card.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hi

I suspect the resolution issue happened due to the "DVI to VGA" adapter. I have seen this before and the only solution is to use a OEM converter like the one made by XFX or Sapphire. 

Monitor and the VGA port communicates using a dedicated bus named "IIC" bus. If we use an improper converter the communication line may broke and hence as a result Graphic adapter won't be able to query the monitor about the supported resolutions. It happens to me when i have a ATI 5750 card but i managed to get an original XFX converter and the issue solved. The next time when i buy a GT450 card i choose an Asus one as it came with an on board VGA. 

#7 espoo_hopper

espoo_hopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi

Thanks for the help. All now resolved. After my last post I pressed a few option buttons and more screen resolutions appeared. Seems to be working well.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users