Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

files can't save or be deleted because 'in use'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ian456

ian456

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

When I work in photoshop and come to save my work i get a message saying this cant be done because the file is in use. I can 'save as' under another name but then when i come to try to rename, delete or back up, the same problem arises. I checked in task maager to see what processes or programmes might be active and noticed there was some intermitent activity in explorer. I googled the problem and discovered other people have suffered this as well - but no clear solutions seem available. Rebooting used to shake it off for a while but this no longer works. Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ian456

ian456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I am replying to my own topic here to say I found what i was looking for in the tutorial section - 'how to delete or rename files in use or locked in windows'

I should have looked in the first place.

It feels good to have some hope for a solution though.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Possible workaround, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html . 

Before trying the workaround...I would run chkdsk /r, followed by a defrag.

Louis

#4 ian456

ian456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Hamluis. I'll try that.

#5 ian456

ian456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hamluis - the workaround was a bit advanced for me but I ran the checkdisc and defrag followed by the recommended freeware Unlocker. I have to say Unlocker worked a treat. What a relief. I also downloaded a registry cleaner and there was a lot of accumilated gubbins associated with the problem that it has been helpful to clear out. The main reason for this post though is to update the link to download Unlocker which is now:

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

Thanks again

Ian

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Glad you resolved it satisfactorily...but I suggest that you refrain from installing/using any registry tool that is not native to Windows.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.  Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry :

“The Windows registry stores all application settings in one logical repository (but a number of discrete files) and in a standardized form.  The registry contains important configuration information for the operating system, for installed applications as well as individual settings for each user and application. A careless change to the operating system configuration in the registry could cause irreversible damage, so it is usually only installer programs which perform changes to the registry database during installation/configuration and removal.  If a user wants to edit the registry manually, Microsoft recommends that a backup of the registry is performed before the change.  Editing the registry is sometimes necessary when working around Windows-specific issues e.g. problems when logging onto a domain can be resolved by editing the registry.  The Windows registry can be edited manually using programs such as regedit.exe, although these tools do not expose some of registry's metadata such as the last modified date.”

Put simply, the Windows registry is a central repository of information about all aspects of the

computer - in particular, its hardware, operating system, applications and users.

More per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner  :

“A registry cleaner is a class of third party software utility designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system, whose purported purpose is to remove redundant items from the Windows registry.

Registry cleaners are not supported by Microsoft, but vendors of Registry cleaners claim that they are useful to repair inconsistencies arising from manual changes to applications, especially COM-based programs.  The necessity and usefulness of registry cleaners is a controversial topic, with experts in disagreement over their benefits. The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.

There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat". Even a neglected registry will seldom contain more than two or three thousand redundant entries. Bearing in mind that the modern registry may contain more than a million entries, the elimination of two or three thousand will not save any noticeable amount of scanning time.  Some registry cleaners make no distinction as to the severity of the errors, and many that do may erroneously categorize errors as "critical" with little basis to support it. It.  Removing or changing certain registry data can prevent the system from starting, or cause application errors and crashes

A poorly-designed registry cleaner may not be equipped to know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This may lead to loss of functionality and/or system instability.  While it is true that some registry cleaners are safe, these cleaners do not improve performance. The rest are a mix of snake-oil, actual malware, or dangerously powerful tools unsuited to non-professionals.”

For the reasons pointed out above and others…BC does not encourage/suggest that any member employ…a registry cleaner/optimizer.

Louis

#7 ian456

ian456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hamluis - Gosh! I read all this and the links. Having paid for the thing only a few days ago I don't quite have the stomach to uninstall yet. The reason I bought it was because it was suggested I should at the Unlocker site. The link they provided was to a product by Uniblue who claimed to be a 'Microsoft Partner' with Gold ISV competency. Even so, Windows themselves also cast doubt on the necessity of such cleaners - windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/are-registry-cleaners-necessary. Never mind. Thanks for the tip.

Ian

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Understood :)...but being a Microsoft Partner is a business relationship, not an endorsement of all products manufactured or developed by a given vendor.  From what I see, it's a 1-way relationship for Microsoft to gain channels for MS products and services, nothing more.

From Microsoft Partner Program, Certified Partner Logo Usage Guidelines , a .pdf file which can be downloaded via the 5th reference at http://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Is+Microsoft+Partner+a+valid+endorsement+of+all+products%3F&oq=Is+Microsoft+Partner+a+valid+endorsement+of+all+products%3F&gs_l=hp.3...3203.19000.0.20328.57.52.0.5.5.0.250.8846.0j39j13.52.0...0.0...1c.1.14.psy-ab.C8usJ1Yn_Fs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmQ&fp=6b1afb6a72f2ddd8&biw=1440&bih=700

"Partner-branded materials
“Partner-branded” materials are those advertisements, collateral, and other marketing materials that promote a partner’s services or business. These materials must clearly look like they come from the partner and not from Microsoft. They will feature the partner’s logo and branding, although they may include the Microsoft Certified Partner logo to identify the partner’s business relationship with Microsoft. Unless a partner is licensed to use a specific Microsoft logo under one of the Microsoft logo programs, partners must not use any other Microsoft logos, Microsoft fonts (Franklin Gothic, Segoe, and ITC Berkeley), Microsoft hardware, software, technology or services logos, subbrand logos, or other brand elements from the Microsoft master brand or subbrands on these materials."

Like you...at one time, I also thought that being a Microsoft Partner was a ringing endorsement of products...I no longer think that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users