Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Xp With 64mb Of Ram?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

I was given an older Fujitsu Lifebook laptop, model E-6520, in trade for some work I did, so my investment so far is zero except for my time. The critter has stickers on the bottom indicating that it used to have W98SE, but someone installed XP Home and W98 is gone. I have no disks or manuals. It's 6GB HD was full of games and junk, so I deleted everything but the OS, and installed AVG, CCleaner, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot from CD's burned from my desktop (which runs W98SE). Then ran AVG and the rest and found no problems.

But it only has 64MB of RAM which means it takes forever to do anything, even rearranging the desktop is like watching paint dry. So here's my dilemma: It's gonna cost me something close to $100 to add two 128MB sticks of RAM (it has two RAM slots, one empty now) to get up to 256MB, the minimum I guess I need just to function at some reasonable rate with XP or I could wipe the HD and put W98SE back on and if memory serves, you can get by with 64MB with that OS. I don't do any serious gaming, intend to use it for word processing and as a portable jukebox for the most part.

So help me make a decision here, spend the $100 and keep XP, or return the thing to the way it came from the factory? Thanks in advance, and if I've put this in the wrong forum, please move to a more appropriate place.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

you'd be best off to get one 256MB stick of PC133, which should be compatible from the sounds of the description. That would work much better than 2 128MB sticks. I would keep XP if possible.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

128 MB of ram cheap, HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

twinsdad:
I don't believe that even with the additional memory resources, that machine will not perform as well as the factory installed version of Windows 98. XP is great on systems that exceed the minimum requirements for installation, but doesn't perform well on those systems that don't.

I always recommend that on systems that are P3 equivalent and below, Windows 98 is a good choice of operating system to install. On systems that are P4 and above, I always recommend XP. Those are just my personal requirements for installing OSes....I guess since you already have XP installed, and you do not have the original CD's, you could get the memory upgrade,(if it's as cheap as listed in AF's link) and see how it works with your configuration...If you do decide to go back to 98, it will also perform better with the additional memory.

Here's the support site for Fujitsu. You will find your laptop details after selecting the appropriate dropdown boxes. You can also find drivers and other useful information about your laptop.

http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/sup...?srch=TECHSPECS

Good-luck.
JC

#5 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

Albert Frankenstein: That's a 200 pin RAM, I need 144. But thanks, I should noodle around on e-bay for awhile before going retail. If you've got a link for something like that, I'd appreciate it.

NEsince92: Yeah, I'd like to keep the XP just to let me work with it....my W98 desktop is gonna die someday. Would 2X128 be a bunch worse than 1X256 if I can find it much cheaper?

Joshuacat: I've missed pestering you about my problems, you helped fix the last one so well, I only lurk. Yeah, good advice.... find some cheap RAM and see what happens with the XP and if I go back to 98, the extra RAM won't hurt. And same question to you about 2X128 vs. 1X256, big difference? Thanks.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

Any reason this won't work?: http://cgi.ebay.com/NOTEBOOK-MEMORY-256-RA...1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks physically correct, but the compatibility comment makes me pause...is there a simple way of explaining to me what is or is not "compatible" beyond the physical configuration?

Edited by twinsdad, 10 April 2006 - 09:40 PM.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

I'm not so sure that will work - isn't your bus speed 100mhz? The RAM you're looking at is 133. Here are specs. It may work fine, or it may not. Check here.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:07 AM

Hi guys. According to the specifications your computer will max out at 256mb of PC100 SDram. It will probabily accept PC133 if it is low density RAM (16 chip, See page 105 in the link below). That model was offered with Windows 98 or W2k (See page 16 in the link below).

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:zmllOy...t=firefox-a#105
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:01 AM

twinsdad...I would suggest that you check the compatibility with the maufacturer of the module(s) that you are interested in, they will have tested their modules for compatibility.

I did a quick look, this is the least expensive module I found ($29.99), but at least you will know that it is compatible.

http://www.memoryx.net/fulieme4.html

I personally wouldn't invest any more money on that machine, even if you increase the RAM, you will still only have that 6GB hdd which is going to limit your jukebox capacity considerabley. A CD holds 700MB, that means you 6GB hdd will only hold 8.57 CDs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:03 AM

I would normally agree that upgrading an older computer to this extent wouldbe throwing good money after bad, but in this case I do not thinks so. It the case of a desktop you could get a new computer that will out preforme the older computers for around $300, making almost any upgrade hard to justify. With notebooks I think you have a little more leaway. A entry level notebook is still around $700. I know there are $550-$600 entry level notebooks but I think that is 256mb of RAM and I believe everyone agrees that is not acceptable. You can spend $50 on a drive, and $100 on 256mb of RAM and $100 on Windows 2000 professional and still be well under whata notebook computer would cost. This would be as you described as an internet/wordprocessor type computer. You can even install an internel CD-RW for abou $70.

My

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

Joshuacat: I've missed pestering you about my problems, you helped fix the last one so well, I only lurk. Yeah, good advice.... find some cheap RAM and see what happens with the XP and if I go back to 98, the extra RAM won't hurt. And same question to you about 2X128 vs. 1X256, big difference? Thanks.

Yes. Welcome Back! :thumbsup:
I can't see there being a big difference. NEsince92 mentioned it...so I will let him explain the reason for the suggestion.
JC

#12 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

OK, one more question before taking the plunge. I'm gonna get two 128 sticks from the link provided above by dc3 (thanks for that!), which should keep me out of the compatibility quicksand.

So the question is: Is the critter going to simply let me remove the existing 64 stick, install the two new ones, and then boot-up showing 256MB without me having to fuss around in BIOS or any other scary places? :thumbsup:

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

Yes. It should be that easy. Make sure the RAM installed is removable. Some RAM is mount to the motherboard and not removable.

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

Some older computers did require that you go into BIOS for new memory, but that was a long time ago. And all you had to do was save and exit after you saw that it had already found the RAM. But newer machines simply set up the memory you have installed automatically.

It wouldn't hurt to run Memtest 86 on the new memory before you depend on it too much. Let it go through at least a half-dozen passes to see if there are errors.

#15 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:57 PM

So the question is: Is the critter going to simply let me remove the existing 64 stick, install the two new ones, and then boot-up showing 256MB without me having to fuss around in BIOS or any other scary places?

See here...page 65(or 73 in the PDF) for the exact instructions for installing the memory.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users