Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to transfer video off a sony handycam via your computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hi all,

I read an article that discusses how to transfer video from your Sony Handycam to your computer, and it says that you have to have access to the camcorter's touch screen in order to select the video that you want to transfer but then you transfer it from your computer.  I have a Sony Camcorter that I believe is a Handycam, and for ages and ages we couldn't figure out how to get the videos off it, so is there a way that you can transfer the video without having to use both the touch screen and the software on the computer?  That just seems odd; it should be available all through the software, and not to mention, this makes it very difficult for a blind videographer or beginning videographer like me.  I'm blind, but that doesn't mean I can't film.  So, if anyone knows of an alternative method of transferring these videos, I'd appreciate it; I can't just throw away a perfectly working camcorter.  I mean I could sell it, though I'd rather get some good use out of it.  I wan't thinking when I bought it and I ignorantly assumed that all Sony camcorters show up like USB drives, though seemingly only the flipcams do that.  I was unaware of this when I bought it.  Thanks for any help with this; I appreciate it. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

GD Bruins. Had to get that out.

What model Sony cam do you have ?

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'll have to get back to you on that.  I'm not sure; it's probably up in our attic collecting dust like the rest of my older technology. 

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

I have the Sony Handycam DCRSX85

To get to the Mpeg videos, I plug the USB that is connected to the camera, to the PC or Mac.
Then open the flip screen.

On the screen I have to choose "USB CONNECT"

On Windows I get two option boxes.  One for PMBPORTABLE, one for REMOVABLE DISC.

I close the PMBPORTABLE box, and choose view files on the REMOVABLE DISC.

On my Mac I get two image files.  PMBPORTABLE and another one called NO NAME

Inside NO NAME (REMOVABLE DISC on windows) there is a folder called MP ROOT.  Inside that folder is another folder called 101PNV01.  Inside that folder is the actual MPEG videos.

The DCIM folder has JPEGs, if you used the built in camera.

I just drag those videos and JPGs to a folder on the PC.  

The only other way I know of, is to transfer the video real time using a digital converter.

I think those are the only way, you have to use the touch screen.

I hope this helps.

Edited by 12x48y, 15 May 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

It all depends on if the touch screen is static or not, then I might be able to learn where exactly to put my finger and when based on the changes in appearance on the display. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users