Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Having never used Windows 7, when a friend of mine brought me his computer with Win 7 on it it ran "Updates", Now his HDD only has 8 Gig of free space left. Examining his Windows install, I found Two Windows folders. 1) One labled "Windows" and 2) One labled "Windows Old" . Question : Are the files in the "Windows Old" folder those that have been replaced by "Updates" ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

2 articles for you to read - Try the link first, and then use the second one after you read it -

Must I Keep Windows.old?

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?
Before you use Disk Cleanup, make sure that all of your files and settings are in Windows 7 where you expect them to be.
Deleting the Windows.old folder can’t be undone.

1.Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you installed Windows on, and then click OK.

2.In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.
If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

3.Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

4. In the message that appears, click Delete Files.

5. Reboot if required, and you are finished.

Personally - I use Disk Cleanup once every month.

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the info. If a "C" drive cleanup doesn't give sufficient free space, I could just copy his "Windows Old" folder into another partition then delete the original on "C". Done that way it should free up space on "C" drive, yet still have the files available if needs be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users