Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop lid opens with blank screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnuguy

gnuguy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

HP G62 laptop

When I open the lid the screen is all white or filled with horizontal colored lines.  If I fiddle with the lid my homepage may appear but sometimes only stay if I hold the lid(screen) open all the way by hand.  If on a monitor or my TV the screen (resolution is perfect.  So there must be some wire or contact between the lid and the computer that is shorting or broken or something.  Does this sound like a really expensive fix? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

The service manual is here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful using this advice as it can damage your computer.

Try reseating the video cable that runs from the motherboard to the Display panel.

On page 70. First try just unplugging the cable and replugging it and test. If that cures it then Done.

If not then move to reseating it at the display panel as shown on the pages that follow P70.

Hopefully that will fix the problem. If not then it could be the Cable or the panel.

Be very careful The connectors are delicate and easily broken and not easily fixed when broken.

I suggest if Your are not sure you can do it that you do not do it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 gnuguy

gnuguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks rotor123. I finally took it to the repair shop. A plastic part in the base by the hinge was broken so the connect cable to the screen was stretched. That is why when I tapped the lid right there the screen would "connect" for a while. When apart we could touch the cable just right and the screen would appear perfect. The parts and repair labor is $170. I went with that cuz I dont want W8 yet and cant afford a touchscreen. BUT - thanks for the G62 manual link! Gnuguy.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'd say that if they are replacing the base that the price for parts and labor seems reasonable to me.

To replace the base means the entire laptop must be disassembled.

One thing to do is, be sure to get the old base back or make sure that the shop transfers the Windows license and other labels from the bottom of the old base to the new base.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users