Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Uses 100% Of My Cpu!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

Hi all

Having a problem with my laptop

Until recently it was running fine but suddenly it started frezzing for minutes at a time when changing songs in media player and in general when it was running

I only realised today that it was media player causing the problem and in task manager it says it is using 98-100% of my CPU...

Any chance i can sort this out?

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

Not much to go on there. Got any system specs?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

sorry! what do you need?

windows xp sp2
Intel Cleron M 1.4ghz processor
480mb RAM
40GB HD

Does this help?

#4 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

A lot. It tells me you have enough resources that you should not have the problem. Do you have WMP 10? If not I would download it and look for hotfixes on the microsoft website. Could be anything if it is an older version. Also, make sure your video card has a current driver installed.

#5 rugbyboyle

rugbyboyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:57 AM

i have media player 10 and all hotfixes but these have not helped....

how can i tellif my video card is up to date? if it is not would this mean it would have a detrimental affect to my performance even though im playing music?

#6 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

Right click my computer, select properties,hardware,devicemanager. Look for your video card, right click and choose update driver. Odds are it will tell you it can't find a better driver and if so you will need to google the web for the firmware for your card. You might also want to download the k-lite codec pack or something similar from the web to make sure your codec's are up to date. There are many players available for free from the web, and if I were you I would download one and see how it plays. If you select k-lite it will come with a player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users