Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low priority - No OS found - please insert disk and reboot. WTF?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Win XP Pro, SP3 -  Not Crtiical - yet - just a botheration. This happened twice in the past week. I fired up last Monday and I got "No OS found. Please Insert Startup Disk and reboot". Ok, I rebooted without the CD and everything went just fine. Later boots all week - no problem until this morning and I get the same warning. I shut down, unplugged everything not necessary and rebooted with chkdsk /R /X and there wasn't anything outstanding. Should I be shopping for a new HD? Oh yeah, I ran the diagnosics from Maxtor, the HD mfgr and it came up clean. 

The one I'm using for C: is fairly new, (6 months) and has two partitons - C:, the boot part. and D:, where I put stuff not needed on C: I have other HD's divided into partitions holding music, photos and personal (H: is a USB Black Armor password protected for really person stuff but I don't think they have anything to do with happeded that involved my boot drive, C: 

As I stated, this is low priority. There's folks here that NEED help right now but I ain't one, so help them first, ok? But, any advise is always nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hi

Did you plugged any USB pen drive at the time the system shows that message. This can be happen if you plugged a flash drive when powering on the system. The system may try to boot from the flash drive instead of HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users