Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed boot up.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xxpallisterxx

xxpallisterxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum, and I was brought here by an issue I am having with a newly built PC of mine. After my first PC failed on me, a retail bought and pre-made tower, I decided to build my self a new more cost-effective one. I built the PC lastnight, and made sure everything was to the manual and in the correct socket and attached to the correct PSU cables. But when I first booted the PC up it shut down. Literally after seconds of booting it failed, now everything seems to be running fine in that brief time, the case and GPU fans come on, all LED's are light, the only fan that does not come on is the CPU one: A Artic Cooling Freezer13. So I placed the stock fan which came with my CPU in to see if that made any differenace, the same thing happened.

I have tested out the RAM, to see if that is the cause of the problem, and as I can tell it isn't; the issue still occurs with or without one or both sticks of RAM. I removed the GPU, the same issue still. I am starting to suspect it may be a PSU issue, and that it is not delivering enough power to the CPU fan, resulting in the MotherBoard in shutting the PC down as a safety mechanism.

If anyone has had this issue before, or knows of a possible way to resolive it I would be very grateful. My PC Specifications are as listied below:

MSI-H6M1-E33-B3 MotherBoard.

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Asus GeForce GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5 Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, OpenGL 4.2, DirectX 11, Nvidia 3D Vision Surround

1TB HDD

Corsair Gaming Series 2013 Edition GS 600W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Unless you are using a ludicrous amount of other addons it is most likely not the power supply, are you sure that you have the CPU fan plugged into the correct spot on the motherboard?

This is most assuradly an overheat protection shut down, the CPU without a cooler will overheat even idling.

Make sure that your motherboard doesnt need a second (or third) plug from the power supply.

What is the model of your motherboard?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Just a stray thought, The CPU heatsink must be attached properly and the right amount of heatsink compound used.

Too much or too little, or none of the heatsink compound will cause a thermal shutdown to protect the CPU from damage.

This is the Arctic Silver method for a 3rd Gen Intel I7

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

If you think it is the PSU, try using this guide.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users